General Health Community
Ganglion Cyst Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Ganglion Cyst Pain

I have been having extreme hand pain for the last month that radiates at times up my arm. I have a large hard lump on top of my hand near my wrist which looks like a classic Ganglion Cyst. My doctor sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. He was over 2 hours behind in his appointments so didn’t spend much time with me. After telling me I could not be having the pain where I said I was nor as extreme as I said it was, he sprayed something on my hand and japed a needle into it and pulled out a bright yellow jelly like fluid. As he did so I felt pain worse than anything I ever had. He then put a wrist splint on me and sent me home.

The lump is still there as is the pain. The tip of my ring finger is also numb. I am going to find a new ortho for a second opinion. My question is this, Can a ganglion cause constant pain like this in the hand? Also he did not tell me when nor how long to wear the brace. When I asked about taking something for the pain, he told me again that I can’t be having pain from this. Mortrin doesn’t seem to be helping any more and I am only taking it as described on the box. 1 tablet 3 times a day.
yes.. I had a Ganglion on the bottom of my thumb (underneath) on my wrist.  Hurt like no one's business.  Yes, it can cause radiating pain up the arm and into the finger tips along with some numbness.  I don't think Motrin touched my pain either.

You need to wear the brace until the cyst clears up....could be months...I wore mine for over a year.  Use wrist rests, watch how you sleep...I had a tendency to curl my hands under me which caused even greater stress on the nerves.

I would find another ortho, though.  First one doesn't sound too friendly, although he may be a good doc, sometimes you need a good bedside manner, too.

Good Luck, hope it heals quickly.
Thanks for your comments.

I have an appointment for Monday with an other ortho. I have been wearing a wrist brace but the pain in my hand is still there but I am getting used to it. It's only unbearable if something presses on, bangs into it or I try to use it al all. My hand has become swollen and I now have a very nasty bruise all over the top of my hand, wrist and up my forearm a bit. As for the cyst, It isn't as high as it was but it is now more spread out. Who knows what he did with that needle when he japped it in me.

The old doctor's office called the other day to ask me when I would like to schedule surgery for my hand. I laughed at the woman and asked if she was kidding. I told her I would not be coming back there and would not let that man any where near me again. She was very surprised by my "attitude" as she called it.

Hopefully Monday I will get some good news since I need to get back to work in the studio. I have several projects to get out and can't cut glass right now with my hand like it is. Just trying to hold a glass cutter sends sharp pain through my whole hand.

Sounds like he tried to drain it, but from my understanding, ganglian's don't drain very well.  You can try to "pop" them...their nickname is a bible bump?  Because people used to take bibles and wham them into the bumps in hopes that they would go away.  I tried that...just made it hurt REALLY bad.  

Have you tried a hot compress on the swelling to see if that can ease it along?  Maybe rotate with ice just like a muscle injury?

You might want to try compression bandaging with some ace bandages....but since you have an appt, you might just want to wait it out and let him take a good look at it.  I sure do hope that this new doc will be much better for you.

Sounded painful to me.  Sorry!  :(
I couldn't take a pressure bandage. Any pressure applied to my hand sends sharp pain shooting throughout my hand and up my arm. I'm starting to wonder if I haven't got something else going on with my hand besides the cyst.

Warm compresses help the pain but I've been icing it for the swelling which seems to be going down some today. The numbness in my ring figure tip has spread a little. In fact I tried to move some glass around the studio today and cut it but didn't notice until I saw blood all over the place and wondered where that came from.

It is amazing how you can get used to the constant pain. The only time it really is effecting me now is when I bumb it or move it when I don't have the wrist brace on.

I can't wait until monday to see what the new guy has to say. Hopefully I will just need to rest it and it will improve. Extremely wishful thinking on my part I know. I'm not really looking forward to having surgery on my "money" hand but then again if this will get worse without it I'll have to go for it.

Thanks again for the suggestions and concern.

Pam