General Health Community
Gastroparesis/IBS/Chronic Constipation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Gastroparesis/IBS/Chronic Constipation

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and IBS earlier this year and was told to treat it my eating smaller meals throughout the day.  My IBS symptoms are generally those of severe abdominal pain and chronic constipation (I'll have a BM about once a week).  I am wondering if there is more going on than just IBS.  My GI doc did a colonoscopy and endoscopy which is what led to this diagnosis.  Should I seek another opinion or just settle that this is what my future with bowel health is going to look like?  

I do struggle with anorexia and bulimia, however, I have had both for over a decade and these GI symptoms are fairly new.
Common gas-producing foods include brown beans, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, onions, beer, red wine, and eggs.This helps the stomach to empty faster, allowing gas to move into the small intestine.it is important to avoid habits like excessive gum chewing or smoking and to treat digestive diseases (e.g., peptic ulcer) that may cause hypersalivation as well as disorders that may cause nausea and reflex salivation.
The best way to handle IBS is to eat a healthy diet, avoid foods that seem to make you feel worse and find ways to handle your stress.
but try-Nux vomica-30c but only after consulting with your doctor.
dear kmkay31
i was diagnosed with ibs7 yrs ago. my symptoms rotate between constipation and diaherra (diarrhea) and both with severe ab. pain. my doc plan works very well for me as long as i follow. keep my fiber intake between 21-31 grams a day, plenty of fluids and lower my caffeine intake. this works wonderful. if i stray from it my stomach lets me know. hope this helps.
there is a great new product over the counter called align. it comes with a money back guarantee. worth checking out. i have had ibs for 22 yrs and this product turned me around.

Most people have heard of this growing problem one that can produce chronic inflammation,bowel spasms, cramping, gas and diarrhea. While medical science is still unsure about what causes the condition, we do know that it often develops after a severe intestinal infection, particularly one treated with antibiotics.While antibiotics are wonderful medical tools, when used indiscriminately, they can easily cause more harm than good because they kill the good intestinal bacteria along with the bad. There is growing evidence that the loss of these good guys plays a major role in the development of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). In fact, a number of people who got well once their good bacteria were replaced. These good bacteria do a lot of things for us: supply vitamin B12, detoxify estrogen and other carcinogens, prevent an overgrowth of harmful bacteria, viruses and fungi and aid in the digestion of fiber. Basically, they keep the “house” in order.
But when there is a shortage or complete absence of good bacteria, the bowel can become inflamed and hypersensitive to a number of chemicals that cause bowel irritability, such as histamine, acetylcholine and glutamate (MSG). Carrageenan, a common food additive made from seaweed, is known to produce intense inflammation, even in small doses. You will see it in baked goods, ice cream and breads. It tends to worsen all bowel
conditions, including IBS, and in fact it can dramatically stimulate cancer growth.
MSG and similar food additives can powerfully stimulate the bowel muscles, resulting in diarrhea and cramping. And sensitivity to MSG is heightened when the bowel is inflamed due to irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. Special cells in the walls of the intestines (known as mast cells) have been shown to play a major role
in intestinal diseases. Glutamate (MSG, etc.) stimulates these cells to release histamine,
intensifying bowel inflammation and damage. You can soothe the irritation and inflammation by maintaining healthy gut bacteria, avoiding irritating foods, food additives and chemicals and by suppressing histamine release using nutrients like quercetin and vitamin C. Most sufferers know that certain items irritate the bowel, aggravating their condition — things like high-fat foods, coffee (even decaffeinated),
carbonated drinks and alcohol. Quercetin, curcumin and hesperdin all suppress
the mast cells’ histamine release, thereby reducing the symptoms. Curcumin also relaxes bowel muscles and reduces the risk of colon cancer. As for keeping the intestinal bacteria healthy, bacteria-friendly “probiotic” foods and supplements are helpful. One of the better probiotic formulas is Theralac. It features a unique capsule design, ensuring that a maximum number of the most beneficial organisms are delivered to the colon, where they are needed. Flax fiber is also very effective because it enhances the growth of beneficial bacteria. Peppermint and caraway oils are among other very useful supplements, as they reduce spasms in the intestine and colon. They should be entericcoated, or covered with a material that permits transit through the stomach to the small intestine before the medication is released. Some of these organisms are acid-resistant. Life Extension Corporation has a product called Regimint which is used to treat irritable bowel
syndrome. Its combination of peppermint and oregano oil has shown impressive results.
These supplements are taken three times a day another good product is  Konsyl Original Fiber.