Getting a blood test while dehydrated
I went to get a blood test done a few days ago. The nurse used the syringe on my arm in the inside on my elbow. She was using one of those syringes that have a suction mechanism.

She used the syringe but nothing came out. Then she took it out and inserted it an another spot on the inside of my elbow. This time a little bit of blood came out. She said its because I might be dehydrated.

She seemed like an amateur. Does this actually happen? When you are dehydrated blood doesn't come out?
Absolutely, yes.  When you are dehydrated, even a little, it is much harder to get a blood draw.  Next time you need to have blood drawn, be sure and drink plenty of water - even if you are to have the blood drawn fasting, you can still drink water - it will not affect the outcome of the test results.  I'm always a "hard stick", and it is especially true if I am even a little dehydrated, so I always make sure to drink extra water before I go for any blood testing.

Another thing I have found for myself is that it is usually much easier for any technician to get blood out of the back of my hand than it is in my arm anywhere - so maybe next time you can also request that they try for the back of your hand.  Some technicians/labs are hesitant to do this because they typically have to use a smaller needle, but for me, it usually means one or two needle sticks as opposed to 5-6!!!
Thanks Sandra,

do you mean to say that sometimes you have to get poked 5-6 times to get blood out? ...my 2 times doesn't sound that bad now...lol
Yes, there's been many a time when I've had to be jabbed 5, 6 or even more times before they could get a blood sample!  NOT FUN!!!  My veins are bad anyway (small, hard to see and they tend to roll when they know a needle is coming at them!), but when I'm dehydrated, it's even worse.

Now, anytime I have to go to the hospital, if they want to start an IV or draw blood, I tell them they better give me a PIC line because that's pretty much the only way they're going to get anything started!

I have had some lucky times when it only takes 1-2 needle jabs to get blood drawn or an IV started, but unfortunately, for me, those times are pretty few and far between.

Definitely drink lots of water before a blood draw, though, it does help.

Robyn