General Health Community
H PYLORI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

H PYLORI

WHAT TYPES OF ANTIBIOTICS ARE USED FOR TREATMENT OF H PYLORI
For stomach ulcers caused by H-Pylori bacteria physicians often prescribe a combination of drugs. The first being a proton pump inhibitor or stomach acid reducer such as omeprazole. Also, two types of antibiotics usually clarithromycin and amoxicillin. Hope this helps :)
The preferred practice is to use so-called "tripple therapy" involving three different antibiotics. The selction of the antibiotics vary (H-Pylori replication is inhibited by many different antibiotics), however the general idea is to attack three different mechanisms used in bacterial replication. Preferably the antibiotics come from different classes. Early on the antibiotics were individually selected, however there is a medication on the market that combines three different antibotics for ease in patient compliance.
Thank you both so much for your great responses. I feel more at ease now.
There are strong arguments against using a so-called "proton pump" inhibitor together with antibiotics although this is common long-standing practice. The medication, which  reduces the quantity of acid in the stomach, triggers the bacteria to go into "survival mode", and hibernate, clumping in colonies where only the surface layer is available to interact with the antibiotic. The antibiotics work best when the bacteria are permitted to go on about their business, unaware they are being attacked. The use of three different antibiotics, used alone, without any other medication works best. What is sometimes recommended is that after the entire course of antibiotics are completed to take the next day and administer a bactricidal agent (usually Bismuth in the form of Pepto-Bismal) in the quantity of a tablespoon every four hours until three doses have been administered. Scientific American Magazine did an extensive article (searchable) on H-pylori, which defined the varieties and provided an argument for leaving them alone unless they are causing problems. It is easy to be reinfected, the most common route coming from unwashed or improperly cooked poultry. Or another family member who has the infection and handles or prepares food.
Hi Rotimber,
This is an article from Wikipedia.
Further information: Helicobacter pylori eradication protocols
Once H. pylori is detected in patients with a peptic ulcer, the normal procedure is to eradicate it and allow the ulcer to heal. The standard first-line therapy is a one week "triple therapy" consisting of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lansoprazole and the antibiotics clarithromycin and amoxicillin.[46] Variations of the triple therapy have been developed over the years, such as using a different proton pump inhibitor, as with pantoprazole or rabeprazole, or replacing amoxicillin with metronidazole for people who are allergic to penicillin.[47] Such a therapy has revolutionized the treatment of peptic ulcers, and has made a cure to the disease possible; previously, the only option was symptom control using antacids, H2-antagonists or proton pump inhibitors alone.

This organism can become resistant. So if your symtoms (symptoms) do not resolve in the time frame that your doctor suggests it should and you are still positive for H. pylori, you may need an additional round of antibiotics. I would keep this in mind.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
mkh9

An increasing number of infected individuals are found to harbour antibiotic-resistant bacteria. This results in initial treatment failure and requires additional rounds of antibiotic therapy or alternative strategies, such as a quadruple therapy, which adds a bismuth colloid, such as bismuth subsalicylate.[36][50][51] For the treatment of clarithromycin-resistant strains of H. pylori, the use of levofloxacin as part of the therapy has been suggested.[52][53]

An article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found evidence that "ingesting lactic acid bacteria exerts a suppressive effect on Helicobacter pylori infection in both animals and humans," noting that "supplementing with Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt (AB-yogurt) was shown to improve the rates of eradication of H. pylori in humans."[54

This is an article from Wikipedia.

mkh9

An increasing number of infected individuals are found to harbour antibiotic-resistant bacteria. This results in initial treatment failure and requires additional rounds of antibiotic therapy or alternative strategies, such as a quadruple therapy, which adds a bismuth colloid, such as bismuth subsalicylate.[36][50][51] For the treatment of clarithromycin-resistant strains of H. pylori, the use of levofloxacin as part of the therapy has been suggested.

An article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found evidence that "ingesting lactic acid bacteria exerts a suppressive effect on Helicobacter pylori infection in both animals and humans," noting that "supplementing with Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt (AB-yogurt) was shown to improve the rates of eradication of H. pylori in humans.
Wikipedia is absolutely worthless as a source of medical information.

Various H.Pylori protocols are evaluated and discussed on the United States database "Pubmed".
To qualify my position on Wikipedia, it is presented in a format that appears to well-documented, but much of the information on Wikipedia is made from whole cloth. Because anyone can alter information children make a practice of altering numbers, data and information for fun. I can tell you of a thirteen year old I know who brags about doing this. Not necessarily the information on H.pylori. "Pubmed" is an absolutely positively accurate course of information to compare and contrast the effectiveness of treatment protocols.

Another good source of information I use daily is the Merck manual, which should be an absolute must for anyone interested in medicine.
Thanks to everyone. I will share this with my sister.
There are three articles in Scientific American. Two ofhem are "The bacteria behind Ulcers" by Martin Blaser, Jan 24, 2005 and February 1996. Eliminating H.Pylori, according to the articles reduces the chance of stomach cancer while increasing the chance of reflux disease and decreasing production of a hormone named ghrelin in the fundus that regulates appetite. The Scientific American articles suggest that H.Pylori may have an unknown role in reducing the incidence of (all things) asthma, and should not be eliminated unless there are symptoms of ulcers. It appears there are genetic differences and some people can live happily with this organism while others develop either cancer or life-threatening bleeding ulcers.