General Health Community
Hot red swollen face

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Hot red swollen face

.I woke up and got ready and my face started getting a red hot and swollen.  I have been on Gentimicin for about 5 days for my eye swelling and I am not on anything else. Anyway , it looked like giant hives on my cheek bones and my face was on fire.  My doctor didn't really know what to tell me. I started taking amoxicilian 250 3x/day and some childrens allergy meds. (I get heart palps and my BP is a little high so I can't take stronger)  This is going on day 3. I looks a bit better but more like when I got a 2nd degree sunburn.  Still swollen, red and hot. It goes around to the back of my neck as well.  Not sure what to do. . My doctor thought maybe sinus.  I have no colored drainage, I do have a persistant headache though.
Hives are a histimine reaction to whatever you are eating/swallowing.  You need an antihistimine and to stop the offending food/drug.  See your doctor and tell him/her you are now allergic to that antibiotic.  Write it down and never take it again.
Thanks, I am still not positive it is the meds.  I typically do not take prescriptions.  Can you have a reaction 5 days into the prescription?
How long can this last? It looks better since monday.  I can push on my head and you can see where my finger was and it turns red.  Cheeks too. I also have a headache...ugh
Sorry you're still not well.  A chronic sinus condition can cause problems.  Perhaps you need a different approach to the infection.  Try sluffing warm water with salt or xylitol into your nose.  Sometimes that will loosen the mucus and cause a good drainage.  Or fill the sink with very hot water, put a towel over your head and inhale the hot steam for a little while.  - Sounds like your face is swollen also.  Have you tried hot steamy towels on your face?  Anything to loosen that mucus should help.  - Let me know how you fare.
Feeling better today. Still a bit foggy.  Have blood work taken yesterday. I am still waiting for the results. When I put anything hot near my face I was worse.  I did ice packs.  That seemed to help some. I am really dehydrated now from the antihistimine. On bottle #7 right now. Not using the bathroom much, I must have really needed the liquid.  Thank you for responding.  Makes me feel better.
I drink close to a gallon of water a day.  Not that you need that much, but water is the source of life since we are made of 98% water.  I hope you don't get too dehydrated as that could be dangerous to your health.  I'm glad the ice packs helped. - Sometimes we have to experiment a little to see what works.- Are you taking any supplements?  A good pre-natal vitamin wouldn't hurt.  Why pre-natal?  Because they are more complete than even the ones for old people. LOL
Too funny! I felt really good when I took those! I take some supplements. I try not to to the prescription stuff , unless I really do not have a choice. Then its the old stand bys.  Amox etc. and the lose dosages. I have had great luck lowering my bp w/ hawthorn and garlic. Keep my PVCs under control with magnesium.  Mullein for my arthritis.  Works pretty good.  Between my family and I we have tried alot.  We only recommend things that we have actually found that work.  This one was a bugger. Thank you again for your communication.  I really appreciate it!
Good for you!  I believe very strongly in supplements.  I think the food we eat nowadays has been tampered with so much that it doesn't contain all the nutrients we need.  Thanks for the heads up about Hawthorne.  I will have to try it as I'm tired of taking Cardizem for my bp.  Of course, I'll have to talk to my doctor about it first. :)
I drink hawthorn tea. Dogbane tea (luo bu ma)is what the my chinese doctor had me on for awhile as well. Still have the pressure in my head and feel wiped out. Went to go to the store and turned around and came home. Can't wait to get back on my astragalus.  
Wow... so sorry this problem continues.  Do you sleep with your head elevated so your sinuses can drain?  Maybe a vaporizer would help, too.  And eating horseradish ... one of my friends swears by it.  But it sure is hotter than a hot pepper!  Have you tried a saline nasal spray?  - I can imagine that your headache gets unbearable. So sorry, dear friend.  My book on natural therapies suggests taking Bromelain to help with sinus pressure.  
Just noticed that my natural therapies suggests taking Sepia.  I think I need some too.
Great.  Bromelain is good for the digestion too. I believe its made from Pineapple.  Got the vaporizer going, put the heating pad on my head too.  I need a heating pad helmet.  I think that would feel great!
LOL  I can just imagine wearing a helmet with a heating element in it!  Maybe someone will read this and invent it!!   Bromelain is also good for headaches and migraines and even body aches and pains.  Must be great stuff! ~ I sincerely hope you start feeling better soon.  This has been going on long enough!!
On the mend.  Thanks for being there! Please keep in touch!

So glad to hear that you are doing better.  I hope you continue to get well.  You're like an extra daughter to me - she's about your age also.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you fare!
Glad to hear that you have improved.  

Was your condition ever confirmed as being a sinus problem?  I have suffered from sinusitis from time to time and my face and neck have never gone red with hives and on fire.

I did have a very bad problem with my face two years ago.  Red, sore, itching and blotchy.  Doctor thought that it was foliculitis (folliculitis) (inflammation of the hair folicles) and gave me an antibiotic.  It did not work.

My face got worse - it felt on fire as if I had been really badly sunburned.  I was embarrassed to talk to people.  And people did comment that it did look sore.

Eventually, seeing a different doctor, he diagnosed it as Rosacea.  I was prescribed with an cream called Rosex -  brilliant, started to get relief after a couple of days.  I had to keep out of the sun and the wind.  Doctor prescribed a 50% strength sun barrier cream too.

I don't need to use the cream very often now, only from time to time when my face starts to get red and blotchy.  

Rosea is not isolated just to the face, it can affect the eyes.

I do remember at that time that I had been taking those diet pills that get rid of fat and was eating porridge with raisins and consuming lots of cinammon.  I did wonder whether that had anything to do with triggering off my skin problem.

Best wishes

No, they are not sure.  It could have been an allergic reaction to the Gentimiacin.  I guess it can be delayed. They put me on Amox , unfortunately this morning my eyelid is red again. We have alot of mold at work. I am stuck sitting in it all day.  It's really bad.
How are you doing? My face is back to normal.  Now its something else.  Aging is  a pain in the patoot.  I asked about testing for sleep apnea.  I guess my brother and my dad have it. That can cause alot of weird stuff.

Maybe its as simple as that.  

Sorry , feel like I am complaining again!

Sorry to hear your eyelid is red  (and no doubt itchy and sore too) again.    

Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction to Gentimicin include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), dizziness, trouble breathing.  And as your whole face and neck had hives and your face felt like on fire, it appears that you had a serious reaction to the Gentimicin.

Keep a note of that so that you can remind your doctor in the future that you have an allergice reaction to the Gentimicin.

Hopfully you will not be allergic to the Amox.  If you start to get rashes then you will know that you are.  (My son is allergic to Amoxycillin).

The antihistamine may help you if this is as a result of an allergic reaction to something.  I was prscribed with Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg (antihistamine) for dry itchy eyes.

I presume that you are not applying any make up, eye shadow etc, as these can cause allergic reactions, even some face moisturisers.  Use hyperallergenic products.

Wipe the eyelid with some cotton wool soaked with cooled boiled water, do not use the same cotton wool for the other eye.  Do not share your face towel with anyone else, use a different towel set aside just to dry your face.

Regarding the mould at work, do you have a health and safety department in your work place that can look into this?  If you are a member of a Union at work, you could ask your Union rep to look into it for you.  I am sure that there will be some Health and Safety legislation in place in Chicago for a safe working environment.   Are other work colleagues complaining of headaches, sore throats and rashes?  

Sleep apnea is a condition where a person stops breathing during sleep, the sleep is then disturbed as the person suddenly gasps for oxygen.  The breathing will stop for quite a few minutes. This is quite scary when they stop breathing for 3 or more minutes.  This can happen quite a few times during the night and then the person feels tired the next day because of the interupted sleep.

Not all people who snore have sleep apnea.  The person with sleep apnea usually is unaware that they have this condition.  it's usually a sleeping partner that will notice this.

And, yep I totally agree with your comment to silverfox67 that "Aging is  a pain in the patoot".  I took me a few minutes to figure out what "patoot" meant LOL!

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Thank you for your input.  Face is better.  Just washing my eyes with baby shampoo. I have consultation with a pulmonary guy about the apnea issue. I guess I have to do a breathing test first.  Yes, others complain at work.  Its a family owned business with alot of links to the local government.  We have all complained but they don't want to hear it.  The ceiling is dripping and the have foil pans, fish bowls etc all around to catch the water because they are too cheap to fix the roof.  Water came in and flooded the carpet.  They made the people sit in the water to work.  They never did hire anyone to come in and clean the carpet.  They broke someones portable from home after about 3-4 days.  Not good.  Been looking for a new job for the last 4 years. No luck.  Thanks for letting me vent! :)
Glad to hear your face is better and your eyes improving.  Can you buy Optrex where you live?

Let me know how you get on with the pulmonary guy about your apnea issue.

I am disgusted to hear that nothing is being done in your work place to make it is safe place to work in.  Do you not have a Health and Safety Deparment for an inspector to come and look at the premises?  Whether they have links to the local government or not, they should still comply with legislation for health and safety of their employees.

Is there someone higher up that can be contacted regarding this work issue?  Do be careful though when making enquiries so that it does not get back to you that they terminate your employment.  Can you write confidentially to a parlimentary candidate in your area regarding this?

I feel really sorry for you working in such disgusting conditions.
What would happen if the employess all refused to work in those conditions and did not go to work?  would they sack you all?

If it helps, then "vent" away.  
Keep applying for jobs, you need to get away from this awful work place as soon as possible.  I presume you cannot afford to leave the job unless you have a new job to go to.   The works place is very unhealthy.  I'm surprised you are all not in hospital suffering from pneumonia.

God bless