General Health Community
How much Vitamin D should I take?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

How much Vitamin D should I take?

I am 36 years old and was told by my doctor that I am Vitamin D deficient.  I did some lab work and my results came as:  Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy value 27 ng/mL.   How much vitamin D should I take?  I went to the pharmacy and got Nature's Blend tablets.  I am taking 1 tablet at day (1000 IU)...   My Doctor was not helpful in answering my questions.

I have been experiencing upper back, right shoulder, shoulder blade, and hip pain for a long time. The Doctor I see says that everything looks normal except for my Vitamin D levels are low.  He says that being low in Vitamin D should not be the cause of my pain.  He advised me to go and I quote "get a bottle of Vitamin D at the pharmacy", but I  don't know how much to take...   Can pain be related to Vitamin D deficiency???.  I will be seeing a Neurologist next week and I am in the process of changing to a Doctor who is open to questions.  Any help with explaining Vitamin D deficiency or how much Vitamin D I should be taking will be forever appreciated.
Good information on how much vitamin D you should take can be found on mercola.com.  Just use his search engine and type in "vitamin D" and you will be taken to a page of archive articles.

In the past, he has suggested to sign up for the Vitamin D Council's newsletters, which I did.  I got important information that one needs to take magnesium in order to get the most out of taking the vitamin D.
Vitamin D3 deficiency is very common, lots of folks have it and don't even know it. I have it and my doctor has me on liquid drops, I take 5 drops a day to equal 5000IU. Yes, it can cause pain, and sometimes, a lack of it can even cause high cholesterol and irregular heart beats. The Mercola site is good, this man is very smart and hopefully you will find some more info as well.