Hurt Toe
I work in a commercial laundry so I'm on my feet all the time. Anyway I stupidly kicked an trolley and it really hurt for a very short time and couldn't do anything at the time but now a few days later the toe is  red but not swollen  and some areas are a bit tender. Its no big problem but it is painfully  now and again when I bang it on the inside of the shoe and I had bit of bad twitch in that foot on the way home. Can I do much now to help it heal?  
Bind the toe next to the one beside it  , making a toe splint,you may have a fracture and thats all they did  for me ..the swelling will go down
You need to see a podiatrist to have it evaluated. The redness suggests infection (not certain, but possible), and this can easily establish itself in the bone, and from there you will develop osteomyelitis, and may end up with a toe or foot amputation.  This problem is worse with those who have insulin utilization problems (diabetes). Toe infections are not to be treated lightly. At a minimum you require an x-ray, and a professional look-see. Podiatrists are the best in this situation. At the least you will be prescribed a shoe without a toe and told to wear fresh clean white socks every day and keep the foot dry. If you have to use a bath, keep immersion at a minimum.
Yeah, quit kicking trolleys.... go purchase a toe splint, I had to put one on me daughter last year. Your Big Toe is like your thumb once you injure it, it takes time to heal because your always using it.  Your big toe is your balance.