General Health Community
Hydration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Hydration

Hello, I have been trying to hydrate myself by drinking as much water and such as I can, however everything I drink comes right back out in about an half hour or so. Is this normal, at which point will my body retain the necessary hydration? Thank you.
Well, yes, it is normal not to hold water after you drink it, but, usually it takes about an hour or so for it to be excreted. Sometimes, if a person's body is not used to having a lot of water in it, it will actually hold on to it until it realizes it will not be deprived of it anymore, after that however, it will release it fairly fast. I would not worry too much, but, just drink 8 ounces about every hour, this way, it distributes it evenly and you never have too much or too little.
You should drink daily half your body weight in ounces of water. That is, if you weight 120 pounds, you should drink 60 ounces of water every day, or seven and a half cups. If you weight 180 pounds, you should drink 90 ounces of water daily, or eleven cups and another few sips. If you are overweight, you need to add an additional cup of water for each 25 lbs you are overweight. If you are sweating, or the weather is very hot, you also need to drink more water.

Your also supposed to drink the recommended amount throughout the day, not all at one time or it just leaves the body right away.

You'll know if your getting enough water if your urine is pale in colour. Bright yellow suggests your dehydrated. Headaches are another indicator of not enough water. Also try staying away from coffees and anything with caffeine as it takes water out of the body.

Hope this answers your question.
ok thanks, but is it normal for the liquid to leave my body after drinking it? Does my body have to get used to all this new water first? thanks.
Ok, thank you.