General Health Community
Hypoglycemia episodes, not sure what's going on

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I’ve been having what I think are hypoglycemic episodes on and off for the past several months but I’m not sure what exactly is going on since I’ve never been diagnosed with diabetes.

A little history:
Back in March, I moved in with my parents for a while and gained 12 pounds over the course of three months, which was very strange considering nothing in my diet changed and I’ve always been the same weight for as long as I can remember.  I’ve never been a gym person and have a lightly active lifestyle, but had always been a healthy height and weight at 5’4’’ and 125 pounds.  

I started having palpitations around that time.  I acquired a pulse oximeter and would watch my heartrate go up to 120 or 130 just with simple things like bending down to pick something up and cleaning up around the house.  I saw a cardiologist and a pulmonologist, both of whom ruled out any serious disorders.  The cardiologist said I have a trace of mitral valve prolapse (it runs in my family) but that it was nothing to worry about.  I was told to begin an exercise regimen.

For two months now, I’ve been working out with a trainer three times a week.  I haven’t lost any weight on the scale but I’ve lost some inches.  

Hypoglycemia episodes:
I recall one morning a few months back, I woke up and felt extremely nauseous and dizzy.  I was sweating, trembling, and feeling like I was going to pass out.  I remember feeling very hot and my heart was racing.  I fell to the floor in my bathroom and lay on the linoleum until I felt like I could get up again.  

This same incident occurred again just last month during one of my training sessions.  I always make sure to eat an hour or so before I work out, usually yogurt, a granola bar, oatmeal, or some kind of protein.  I had eaten roughly three hours before my workout on this day, and 15 minutes into light exercise, I suddenly felt extremely dizzy and my trainer noticed I had become pale and was shaking.  I was also sweating profusely and felt nauseous.

Every so often I have mild episodes of hypoglycemia.  I will feel hungry and dizzy and my vision becomes blurry.  I get confused, anxious, and my heart starts racing.  It usually goes away after I eat something.  

On a related note, I’ve also noticed I get lightheaded pretty much all the time, but this is separate from the hypoglycemia episodes since the sole symptom is dizziness.  If I bend down to pick something up,  I feel dizzy. If I get out of bed in the morning, I feel dizzy.  If I perform certain exercises with my trainer, I get dizzy.  I suppose the dizziness could be due to some kind of inner ear infection (I had labyrinthitis a couple of months ago that lasted for a week) but I can’t be sure.  

I had blood tests and thyroid tests taken back in June and everything was normal except for a slightly elevated CRP level.  I’m seeing an endocrinologist next week and I will discuss all of this with him then.  In the meantime, I would appreciate it if anyone has advice or a similar experience to share.  Thanks!
I take it you've had a glucose test done?If not, I would recommend doing so. You also said they checked your thyroid. What was the number? Most Drs will only check TSH which does not tell the whole story. When you see the Endo Dr ask to have not only have TSH but also FT3, FT4, and antibodies.
Yes, I had a nonfasting glucose test back in June.  It was 81 which is definitely normal.

I've read that the only way to test for hypoglycemia is to do a glucose test in a fasting state.  

My TSH levels were also normal.