IV Pain
I am use to having IVs and blood drawn etc...but this is different.
I had an IV in the ER a week ago. Is there any way to know if you got an ifection from it? I dont think it is an infection, but my arm still hurts, and like I said, I have plenty of IVs, but my arm hurts to straighten it. Any ideas?
Is the vein enlarged and sore? I'm wondering if it could be phlebitis. It's an inflammation of the vein. It sounds like you need to see your Dr to have your arm checked out.
Thanks.
As remar stated, don't hesitate to see your physician. Normally there should be no pain whatsoever. The most common cause of pain is infusion of a medication at a rapid rate that should be infused over a longer time. Some medications irritate, inflame and can even destroy a vein if administered in high concentrations. Ocasionally these are incorrectly administered at a very fast rate. Phelebitis usually (not always) involves a redness on the arm following the passage of the vein.
thank you.
its actually a bit better today
Glad to hear you are getting better. I used to have IV's given to me all the time for my migraine variant which would make me throw up all night and abdominal pain. They damaged my vein in my right arm so that it used to be a good vein to draw blood in  and now the vein is not palpable and not useable. I have had my anticubital vein very sore after IV's probably because they dug around to find the vein. Also, they once or twice had leaked the IV fluid into the tissue and my arm swelled up. So, yes you can get a sore arm from an IV but most of the time it is from trauma to the area or a badly inserted IV etc. You can get an infection at an IV site but they do use Betadine Iodine and other antiseptics to clean the area well. Usually, the infection comes from an IV or catheter tip left in for several days or longer. A well known source of infection is by Staphylococcus epidermidis (usually) but there are other organisms that can infect a catheter site. This is usually when they leave a port in the arm with a plastic shaft for a long time so that they may draw blood or insert an IV many times without traumatizing the patient and it is quicker to inject meds etc.. But for a normal IV insertion infection is not common. I have had my arm sore from blood tests as well. It felt like it hurt or ached when I bent my arm or even without bending. It always goes away eventually. It sounds like yours is on the mend.
take care,
mkh9
I'm happy you are feeling better.

Intravenous zithromax is a common culprit. It is suppossed to be infused over one or two hours, depending on the concentration, but Nancy nurse is often distracted. Last time I was in the hospital they ran it in over twenty munites and because I am undoubtedly developing brain damage I didn't pay attention (I was watching Snooki)  to what was being infused. Arghhhh! Sore arm city!