General Health Community
Infectious mononucleosis Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Infectious mononucleosis Question

My  9 year old son recently had mononucleosis. Well he was ill he also developed mesenteric adenitis. He was pretty ill for several weeks. He has since then been better it has been about a month I would say but he continues to feel generally ill off and on with occasional sore throats. Then a week and a half ago he caught a cold which quickly developed into a sinus and ear infection. He does not often get these kind of infections and in fact has not had to have antibiotics for a few years for anything until now. When his last CBC was done while he had Mono if my memory is correct it showed he still had a slightly low monocytes and his white blood cells were still low. I took his regular dr last week before he got sick because of some cold sores and a bruise I wanted checked and she had considered rechecking his CBC but decided to hold off she did not say why she wanted to recheck this. She has been on vaction this last week and so with this sinus and ear problem he has had to see another dr. He still is having ear pain after 4 days on antibitotics but a recheck today showed no infection and the green sinus drainage is gone. However I do not remember him having a cold last this long this started back in the beginning of March. He still has a lot of congestion and a cough although not bad. His regular dr said his immunity will still be low for a few months. I am just still feeling concerned that he just has not seemed completly well in so long and should I be concerned that there could be something else going on that is being missed. Or is this a normal process following having had mononucleosis?
I reread my post and want to clarify the cold has only been about 9 days. The over all illness with the mono started back in the beginning of March.
I am 34 years old and have been suffering with Mono for over a year now.  It is a complete myth that children even under the age of 5 can not get mono b/c they can.  I am so sorry to here about your son.  Here is what I have had to do b/c of my severe cases of mono - yes, I have been struggling with it now off and on and the only thing that I have found for a true suppression is to eliminate all sugars and foods that are processed.  You see, mono is in the herpes family and actually never goes away.  If you even take a blood test, they can tell if someone has had it - in their entire lifespan.  So seeing that it is in the herpes family, suppression is all you can do.  Of course the medicines help, but if you do not build up his immune system with natural living, he will continue to get sick.  

Try as best as you can by eliminating all processed foods and sugar.  Get him eating as healthy as a nine year old can and try going to a health food store and seeing what they suggest for his age.  I have been taking large doses of vitamin C, omega 3's and 6's, and a good B-complex for energy.  I also make sure that I have plenty of protein (shakes) to keep up my energy level along with fruits and vegies.  I know this may be hard for him, but use your emagination and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps......