Is is dangerous, to heart health, to be startled awake?
Is it dangerous to your health to be startled awake?  I keep asking my mother to quietly call my name to wake me.  Instead, she yells my name, loud and staccato..."JO-DY!!"  My body goes from a deep, calm restful sleep to being startled awake...with rapid heartbeat... instantaneously.

That can't be good for your heart and body, to go from deep sleep and a low, resting heartbeat of say 60, to wide awake, startled and with a heartbeat of 127, can it???  (I usually lie there and try to bring my heart rate back to normal before rising...)
your heart is kinda designed to take that kinda thing, actually if it goes back to rest quickly then your getting a daily stress test, maybe im wrong I just hope this makes you feel better im a heart hypocondriac
Thank you for asking that question and thank you for answering it:) I often wondered about that. My husband for whatever reason, jumps up in his sleep at least 2 xs a week and it scares me!!! Also, I have a teenager who is inpatient and doesn't wake me up gently, it's more like HEY MOM! I'd always wondered if these two will be the death of me by doing this so thank you for easing my mind:) Take care!
No. It is absolutely positively not in any way dangerous to your health.

It may be upsetting, but that is not a life-threatening problem.