General Health Community
Large bump on hairline near right temple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Hi, I am a healthy 27 year old female. I just noticed a large bump/lump near my right temple on my hair line. It does not hurt or appear red. I have no other issues besides recently coming down with a cold/virus going around. Not even sure if that's relevant. Not sure if it's a cyst cause it doesn't really move around. I do not remember hitting my head either. Feels sorta firm. The lump does not really project directly out, it's more of a mound. I have had a cyst on my hand before which was about the size of a pea, but this is larger than that. I don't have insurance, so I would hate to go to the doctor just to be told to keep an eye on it. Could it be a clogged hair gland? A tumor? Calcium build up? Do you think that there's any connection to it being so close to my temple? Any ideas would be appreciated. I hate worrying about cancer and such. Please help. :)
hi! first of all don't worry about it being a tumor. It is probably a trapped hair follicle or a cyst. Cysts are often firm and can appear anywhere in the body especially in places with hair. I had one in my armpit witch was also firm and it hurt because it was presing my gland. It passed after a week or so. The chances of you having something serious are very small but if it becomes bigger or starts to hurt you must go to a doctor or a free clinic. Don't try to squeeze anything out or to poke it with a needle.
Good luck!
hay i just got back from the hospital  i had a pea sized lump on my left temple for about four months and this past week it swelled to the size of a penny and got really sore to the touch anyway the doctor  said it is a sebacios cyst they had to make a small cut and drain it    get it checked or it will keep getting bigger and hurt more  
I know this post is 6 years old, but it still came up in a Google search.

Your lump may not be a serious problem, but as always, you should see a doctor, just to be sure.

I have a roundish 1/2 inch lump just above my left temple, out 3/8 in. from my hairline. I noticed it about 20 years ago. My doctor said it was a FIBROID CYST. These are very common, and are NOT life threatening. (Also called a Benign Fibroid Tumor) Someday I may have it removed for cosmetic reasons.

Other lumps may be Lipomas grow from fat cells. They are the most common benign tumor in adults, often found in the neck, shoulders, back, or arms. Lipomas are slow growing, usually round and movable, and soft to the touch. They may run in families and sometimes they result from an injury. Treatment may be needed if a lipoma is painful or growing quickly. This may include steroid shots or removal through liposuction or surgery. Two other types of benign fat tumors are lipoblastomas, which occur in young children, and hibernomas.

I would also do a GOOGLE search on the following:

A sebaceous cyst /sɪˈbeɪʃəs sɪst/ is a general term that is used to refer to either:

(1) Epidermoid cysts (also termed epidermal cysts, infundibular cyst; and classified in ICD-10 as L72.0), or

(2) Pilar cysts (also termed trichelemmal cysts, isthmus-catagen cysts; and classified in ICD-10 as L72.1).
Hey Thomas!

You might have a Epidermal Inclusion Cyst, benign of course. I (Surgical First Assistant) incise (thousands) of them right in the office 15-20 minutes. Best Wishes!  JD1963
I didn't know a surgical assistant (tech) had an office.  

Good information Thomas.  Hopefully you'll stick around!
I guess I'm just lucky!!

I did start as a Surgical Technologist in 1983!

Have a Great Day!
I just never heard of a surgical tech having their own private practice and performing surgeries and on their own.  That's very different than what surgical techs/assistants does in my area.  
I don't (and don't wish to) have a personally owned private practice. I actually have two offices in two different practices. I left the technician world in 1989 and became a CSA. What is your professional medical position?
I'm just a member here as this is a member to member community. I will say that I was in college though getting my undergrad in the mid 80's and have some related background.   In my state, a Surgical Physicians Assistant is different than a CSA and it would be rare for a CSA to perform actual procedures on patients.  Surgical Physician Assistants will do this sometimes so was confused which end of the spectrum you were on.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Sounds like you have worked in the field for a long time.  

Have a good day.