General Health Community
Left lower abdominal pain

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Left lower abdominal pain

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had anyone could possibly help me figure out what might be wrong.

While at work one day, I felt a slight pop in my lower left abdomen (approximately at the belt line, and slightly below). No immediate pain, so I kept working. By the time the day was over, my lower left abdomen was really sore. Thinking that I might have just strained myself, I didn't seek any medical treatment. Sure enough, I awoke the next morning --no pain. Went to work, but the pain increased the more work I did, and was excruciating by the time I got home.

I tried to finish out the week, and worked another 3 days, by the 4th day, I was not only getting the pain, I started becoming light-headed and very nauseous with the pain starting to radiate down into my left testicle..

I thought I had gotten a hernia, since I had had one several years ago, however, it never gave me any major issues, not even when I weight lifted 6 days a week.

I was sent to see a doctor (general practitioner), he said I had a "trunk strain" and prescribed a course of ibuprofen and to see him again 4 days later. The ibuprofen, did nothing for the pain, went back and the doctor couldn't accurately determine what was wrong. And referred me to a surgeon.
  The surgeon said that he didn't feel as though I had a hernia, but thought that I may have an infection --epididymitis.

A few days later, the pain in my lower abdomen had gotten really bad and I went to the ER. I spent 10 hours in the ER, and the pain was bad enough that morhpine didn't even touch it. They put me dilaudid which made the pain subside. (Mind you, I'm not some sort of ER jumper looking for pain meds, this is the first time I was given morphine or anything stronger).
While I was there, they did all sorts of tests: blood work, CT scan, ultrasound. They ruled out epididymitis, diverticulitis, kidney stones, and couldn't find any hernia's either.

So now I'm at a loss, I have no idea what might be wrong.

I have a constant pain that increases with activity. While sitting here and typing this, my pain level is about 3-4, however, if I move around, it can jump all the way up to 10.

Anyone have any ideas?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Your seeing doctors, only a CT scan will show what's really wrong.  The more you focus on the pain the more intense it will feel.
I definitely think you need to see a chiropractor. It appears that you have several misplace vertebrae in your mid back and this will cause all kinds of horrible pains, including the ones you mentioned. No drug in the world will help if your back is out of alignment, just a good adjustment, pure and simple.
Avatar n tn
  I had a CT scan and a Ultrasound done, and, supposedly, they came back negative. However, the pain is still there. As I described above, it's always at about a 3-4, and can jump as high as 10 even when I move just right.

Mind you I have a really high pain tolerance, so I can tolerate pain for extended periods of time. But when they get more intense, then it starts to worry me.

Mind you I'm not some pain med junky or anything. I only take meds when absolutely needed.
Avatar n tn
While I'm sure a chiropractor would be helpful, I'm pretty mindful of my posture and balance and whatnot. It's very rare that I get back pain.
As I mentioned before, I used to weight lift 6 days per week. I strengthened both my back and my abs quite a bit. (I used to do 6 sets of 25 reps with a 40lbs. dumbbell between my feet).
My posture is pretty good, I typically stand up straight. I'm very mindful of when I carry heavy things to make sure I am balanced.

I assure you the pain I have is not back related. If anything it's muscular. Maybe not a hernia, perhaps it's a torn ligament or something.

I appreciate your input though.