General Health Community
Lightheadness and possible anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Lightheadness and possible anxiety

A couple of weeks ago I developed this strong lightheadedness and had a really odd feeling in my body; I think it might have been anxiety.  My blood pressure also goes up during this time  (example:  145/93 - pulse:  89)  I have this off and on all day.  Usually goes away at bedtime.

My primary care doctor has taken blood tests and an EKG to rule out any other problems; so far the tests are normal. My doctor is not sure what the problem is.... doesn't sound like she knows how to advise me at this point.  The lightheadness is really a drain on me and makes it difficult to concentrate.

I have been under stress for some time.... as I have been unemployed for well over a year.  My question is, can anxiety come on so suddenly..... I have had stressful situations before, but never experienced physical symptoms.  I am also a middle-age woman....at menopause. What can I do beside medicate myself to relief these symptoms so I can feel normal again? And if I have to take anti-anxiety meds.... what are the safest?

It sounds like you are suffering from anxiety, and trust me there is PLEANTY of us with the same syptoms (symptoms). Ive been in my mind fog/lightheadness now for 3 months and have been diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder). I dont freak out or panic or anything when mine start, they just flare up and im off in a daze again. Mediatation and Yoga can work to get rid of some of the symptoms but you should talk to a professional about it too, it does help. Xanax will numb your syptoms (symptoms) but its very easy to get addicted. Im about to try some anti-depressants in the next week cause nothing i can do seems to solve it, GOod luck x
Hello~From the sound of your post, I would definitely say the symptoms are anxiety related. Anxiety can mimic all kinds of problems, I know, I suffer from it plus the fun panic attacks. Being under stress does not help the problem either.

My first anxiety attack came on so fast, I could not believe it, bang, it was there, I was 23 then, I am now 52.

I see a Naturopath, and she does acupuncture on me, and we work with supplements as well, to help the problem. Some primary docs, not all, just do not understand anxiety and they fluff the patient off, then, you have those that do care and will work with you.

As to anti-anxiety drugs, I do not know any as I do not take them, but, I would imagine there are some decent ones that can help you through the rough times.
Thanks for your comments.  Unfortunately anxiety can be a real slippery slope; as we all have stresses in our lives and you just never know when it's going to knock you on your butt.  I don't want to take any medications for it if I can help it.  I started yoga this morning, I am hoping that will help; I also reached out to a friend and am going to visit this coming weekend.  Being unemployed puts me in a situation where I have to watch what I spend, so acupuncture is not something I can do that this time.... otherwise I would try it as well.  I have the classic situation where anxiety and stress can appear..... long term unemployment, family doesn't live near by, live alone, see friends occasionally,  etc......