Low grade fever!! Why?!
Hi everyone I'm new here! Hope u all can help me!! I want to the doctors twice in May. They took my temp by using a thermometer in the ear. it was all in the 99s. Once it was 99.7 and next it was 99.3. I wasn't sick and had been tested for stds and everything was good. I decided to buy a $5 oral temp after there and it always reads around the 98.6 temp. So I'm confused is the thermometer from the doc office wrong? I worry a lot and I'm just scared y I would have a low grade fever on one thermometer and not the other.
Hello, May was along time ago and it is possible that at that time you may have had a small flu bug, been out in the heat, been on your period etc.  A low grade temp is your body's way of reacting to different factors.  Sometimes when the temp raises, it is related to your white blood cells fighting off some sort of an infection.  But both internal and external non infectious conditions can show a slight increase in your temperature as well, for example constipation, menstruation, pain, stress, blood pressure increases, or being out in the hot sun.

With the ear type thermometer the reading can even show a slight false elevation if you have been talking on you cell phone and listening through that ear immediately prior to the temperature being taken, due to heat being trapped in the ear by the phone.   The same is true with an oral thermometer, it can show false highs, or lows depending on if you have just drank an iced or hot beverage, have just smoked a cigarette etc.  

With your temperature reading now showing 98.6 which is considered the ideal "normal" body temperature, if you are not having any symptoms of illness, it is most likely that you are completely healthy and have no signs of infections in your body.  

Make sure when checking your oral temperature you don't eat, drink, or smoke at least 10 minutes before checking it, and the thermometer is placed completely under the tongue with your lips closed.  I hope this helps relieve your concern.  Unless you start having symptoms of an illness, or have a significant unexplained increase in ANY type of  thermometer's readings,  STOP WORRYING and HAVE A WONDERFUL ILLNESS FREE DAY.
Thanx! I have been stressed out this entire year! So hopefully that was y.