MS
I HAVE BEEN BLEEDING FOR 17 MONTHS NOW I HAVE BEEN TO SEE MY GP SHE HAS GIVEN ME TABLETS FOR IT BUT STILL BLEEDING WHAT ELSE CAN I DO
Did you see a gynecologist?
You need to see a gynecologist ASAP.  Bleeding that long is not NORMAL nor healthy.  I hope your GP tested your for anemia (in the least) - bleeding that long you must be anemic by now unless you eat meat nonstop all day.   There can be various reasons from hormones to thyroid issues that can cause long or irregular bleeding - testing must be done to make sure there aren't underlying issues for this bleeding.

I had issues with prolonged bleeding and tried various medications ect...and unfortunately for myself..nothing worked and I eventually had to have an endoetrial ablasion to try and stop the bleeding.  

If your GP didn't refer you to a GYNO....I would find one yourself or get a 2nd opinion.
Please go see a gynocologist right away. I had not been looking for questions to answers but saw yours and had to say something. I am no doctor and do not want to scare you but my grandmother had been bleeding for about the same amount of time. She went and had a pap which came back abnormal and he dr said she needed to go have a dnc to see and have it explore further. But he did not tell her it was urgent. So she put it off. Eventually she became ill. It turned out to be uterin cancer and because she kept putting off getting it checked it had spread through out her body and was untreatable. This was some 20 years ago so treatment options are better and they can detect things sooner. You may very well not have the same thing but this could be serious and it is not worth putting off or hoping to get an easy diagnosis on a web site. This is something you need to go see a gynocologist for and do so ASAP. Please!