Mercurochrome
I have a small bottle of Mercurochrome.  It has always helped me when I have a minor infection with a cut or scrape.
Years ago, I worked in a hospital and often in the Emergency Room.  We used Mercurochrome to assist with the treatment of cuts.  
Today, you cannot buy this in the USA.  Is there an equivalent product that is LONG LASTING (note that Povodine/Iodine is NOT LONG LASTING, and is washed off by a shower or bath, while Mercurochrome is not) and EFFECTIVE.
For me, the most beneficial effect of Mercurochrome was its duration - its effects lasted for many days - while it was effective, even though not perhaps the most powerful of germ killers, to me the true benefit was its long-lasting effect.
I understand that it contains mercury and this is why it was banned in the USA, but is there an equivalent and LONG-LASTING replacement?  One that you need only apply once, like Mercurochrome, and receive many, many days of antimicrobial effect (3,4,5, or even 6 days or more)?

Thank You
Hi...I think the dye was really what was long lasting and gave u a false sense that the properties of the product was working, when in fact ur skin was dyed.

If the newer products had a dye in them u might feel the same, plus u can better see if an infection starts as u can see ur skin color change now, where b4 the dye hid that from view.

Ask ur pharmacist what topical antibiotic he feels is best.....

Good luck
"selma"
Your pharmacist would be the best source to ask. The one topical cream that I like is "Neosporin" it seems the best of all over the counter ointments.
Mercurochrome was bactricidal. As selmaS stated, the dye was the substance that lasted the longest.

The use of a long-acting bactricidal agent is controversal.

The difference between an antibiotic skin treatment such as bactricin, is that this is an "antibioticic" which interferes with bacterial replication. Mercurochrome, on the other hand was a poison. The toxic nature of the substance killed organisms.

Bactricin or any of the equivelant topical products, applied according to instructions, should be all that you need.