General Health Community
Mono question - Flaring up??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Mono question - Flaring up??

This is sort of long, but I really need answers please!

I started getting a sore throat December 17, 2012. By Friday, my tonsils were extremely swollen, and I had to go to urgent care on Saturday  since I had a hard time breathing. I was given a blood test, and it said I had Mono. Two weeks later my symptoms were gone. I was only a bit tired after, but nothing more than usual. Still I rested, and I still haven't gone to school for my last semster as of today. I have only gone out for my doctors appointment last Wednesday when the doctor checked my spleen, and said he couldn't feel it anymore.

For the last four days, my throat has been hurting in the morning for a bit and at night, but would be okay after I had my tea (made with honey). I started then taking 2 vitamin C pills a day. The last two days, however, the soreness has NOT gone away even after my tea.

Just fifteen minutes ago, I was telling my mom. She had me gargle salt water, and the familiar looking phlegm had appeared again. I took a flashlight and I looked at my slightly swollen tonsils that had one white spot on each again.

Is it possible that this will flare up again like before? Has this happened to anyone before? I thought that there was ONE flare up then it was just feeling over tired for up to months later, or am I wrong?

Thank you so much for your time!
What I have learned about mono is that it can come back even though you may get treated for it. Maybe you had it so long that it affected other parts of your body and maybe its not the mono that's affecting your tonsils. Have you ever had what some ppl call thrash. It were babies get those same white spots on their tongue but in your case it may be effecting your tonsils. I think you should maybe get a second opinion if this doctor isn't trying to help you with what's going on. When I had problems with my throat. I found out I was dealing with thyroid problems and it had been going on for four months before I went to the doctor. I had went to the hospital and they told me i may have had strep. I eventually had gotten to the point where it was hard for me to breath and had to have thyroid surgery. Is urgent care like the next best place to go when you don't want to go to the hospital or something. If so I call those doctors quacks because all they do is try to think of something write u a script and take your money and assume everything will be OK. If I'm wrong then I apologize but I really do think you should have a second opinion. You should try looking for a doctor that specializes in nose ear and throat problems and go from there. I hope all gets better with you and will keep you in my prayers. Stay blessed
I live in Canada, so health care for me is not out of pocket.

I went to urgent care initially. They did a blood test that confirmed I had mono, and they did a physical to check my spleen which WAS enlarged. I have never had mono before in my life.

He gave me regular painkillers (ibuprofen... not sure if that's the correct spelling) as well as codeine to help me sleep (since I had been in so much pain). I only went to urgent care because my doctor is closed on the weekends, and I can only go to specific places for treatment due to a contract.

So had the symptoms for the two weeks. Last week I went to my family doctor. They asked about symptoms, everything that happened, etc. and put it in my file. They checked my ears and throat and said it looked alright. He then asked me to lay on the table and pushed down to see if he could feel my spleen. He couldn't.

Then 4 days ago the scratchy throat started, the tonsils swelled up a bit and there's one white patch on each tonsil like how it was before (a symptom of mono).

I didn't know if it could come back that early. I guess I just assumed it was over tired for months after, and flare ups would happen later in life, not a month after I was diagnosed.

Sorry if I was unclear in my last post!
OK I understand what your saying now. Well see if there are any herbal remedies that you can try besides the tea for your sore throat. I k ow there are over the counter cough drops that kind of numb your throat so that may help momentarily when you have irritation in that area and see if there is anything that you may get prescribed for to take to keep the mono dormant. Do a lot of research on your own to and see if there are drugs out there that may help. That's what I do because there is only so much doctors will tell you. I Google a lot of my stuff up that the doctor prescribes to me of any bodily situation so that I can know what questions to ask when I go. Like when I have to get my ovaries removed I'm going to look up a lot of different hormone therapy drugs that I may use n what will best fit me and my everyday living without the doctor just thinking he can put me on anything. I will keep you in my prayers and just update me on how well everything will go. Try to think positive and stay focused on God cuz he can bring you through anything. No matter how bad it seems.
I got this spray that helps numb the throat and mouth. It's not really working too much, but it works better than cough drops for me. I tried other medication, but it won't work because mono is a virus and can only leave when it wants. Grrrrrr!! Lol. Thank you so much for your suggestions, for keeping me in your prayers, and for your last three sentences as well. That is very nice of you :) I hope all goes well with the removal of your ovaries. I'm sure it will! :)
You are so welcome :)))) I found out that my surgery will be Wednesday and I will have to stay in there a cpl of days but I keep the faith so I know everything will be ok. I hope you do find something that will finally help you out though with that sore throat cause no matter where the pain is. It isn't fun to feel it. Trust me I know lol. I am glad that I found and joined this website though cause mostly everyone I talk to up here are really helpful. Stay blessed and positive