This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.
Your daughter probably has pin worms. They're extremely common, in fact the most common parasite in first world countries. You can get a antiparasitic from your gp. You MAY, I'm not too sure, be able to get an over the counter pill for them. However, if you daughter was recently camping, there is any well water that she drank, or she went overseas it may be another kind of parasite and that means she'll need to get a stool sample to her gp for testing. Either way you probably should go through your doctor, just to make sure that's what it is.
If it is a parasite, learn from my experience, I got a NASTY one when I was 11 and the treatment left me lactose intolerant as it killed all my good bacteria in my gut. So I strongly recommend increasing her yogurt quantities (yogurt has these good bacteria in them) or having her take a probiotic.
To get rid op pinworms; take garlic capsules, or eat an onion a day for a week (cooked or fried) wash hands very carefully, scrub fingernails. These worms are very contagious.but quit harmless.
Dont eat raw or undercookes meat, avoid mouth contact with dirty hands.
To prefend the worms from laying eggs on the rim of the rectum; plug the rectum in the evening with a little cotonball. (and it stopt the itch)
Yes as the others have said it does sound like pinworm. Although, a tapeworm's segments can look like pinworm if you don't see a whole worm or just see small white things. In an case they usually do a scotch tape preparation where you put scotch tape over the perianal area before the child wakes up in the morming. They also should do a parasite test (O&P). This will test for other parasites just in case. If it is pinworm the child and sometimes the whole family takes a pill and then a week later another one. In between you have to clean everything, sheets, blankets, towels, clean all floors well etc. It is easy to spread to others and to reinfect the child and others. You have to do the thourough cleaning after the second pill too. If the doctor doesn't give you very detailed info on how to clean up write again and I'll give you a schedule. You an also send me a note if you like. Pinworms are very treatable.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.