General Health Community
My big toenails are growing inward...and I am a diabetic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Recently the last 3 months or so...my big toenail on my left foot is growing inward.  Really digging in my skin and becoming painful.  It is not an ingrown toenail.  The sides are curling inward.  I have been a diabetic for 20 years.  I am 41.  I don't have any feet problems.  My diabetes is well controled.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
It may be a peranechia (not sure of the spelling). The nail cuts or digs into the tissue and is painful and can get infected. You may need to have the nail removed. Best bet is to go to a podiatrist as the regular docs just keep handing you antibiotics because it looks like an infecttion but isn't necessarily. The podiatrist may remove some of the nail that is digging in or may have to remove it all. I had this happen due to toe nail fungus that I got after I broke the nail and then when the new one came in it had a fungus which made the grow funny and dig into the tissue. My GP gave me two antibiotics then an antifungal. In the end the nail had to come off and finally it is ok now. Let me know what happens. Best if you can find a podiatrist that specializes in diabetics.
Thanks for the help!!!
You are welcome. Good luck with it. And, let me know how it goes ok?
mkh9