General Health Community
My height seems wrong for my genetic makeup

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I am a 31 year old male, I am 5'9, which is a decent enough height I suppose. My question is did something go wrong with me.

You see my father is 6'5, his parents were both 5'10. My Mother is 5'5 and her parents were 6'2 and 5'10. I have a sister who is 5'8 and a brother who is 6'1.5. Yes I am shorter than both of my grand mothers.

I've found several height predicting calculators online, some take into account your just your parents, other take your parents and grand parents into the mix, in all cases children from my parents are predicted to be between 6'1-6'7 for males and 5'6-5'10 for females.

Now you'll notice my brother is half an inch outside of the prediction, but that seems normal enough, and my sister falls right in the middle.

I am however am 5 inches shorter than predicted! That seems like an awful lot and makes me wonder if somethings didn't get messed up along the way. Often people don't believe I am my father child (which I certainly am, we are both red heads, and I look like a tiny version of him.) My question is did I get short changed on my genetic potential?

Possible causes:
My mother thinks it's because she had eclampsia when she was pregnant with me, I also have small heart defect, or VSD and was born 4.7 lbs or something around there. I started smoking when I was 16, but didn't really smoke daily till I was nearly 18 (I've quit that by the way). When I was 12, there was a 6 month period were my family was very poor and I didn't always get as much too eat as I normally would of liked, however we ate a LOT of bk whoppers during that period.

no nothing is wrong with you!! just like a baby that has blue eyes an either one of his parents have blue eyes. its always someone in your family or maybe the environment you grew up in
which there is nothing wrong with!! tall men  are very sexy in my book
I'm sorry, but this post makes me laugh.  You said you know your father is your father, and you're a grown adult, so your height is going to be your height forever.  There's no changing being "short-changed".  I want to be 5'9" and weigh 120 pounds, but that's not the body I was given.  I know a woman who is 6' tall and her parents are both very short.  My brothers are both over 6' tall and my mom is only 5'2" and my dad was only 5'8".  I doubt very much that your BK whoppers had anything to do with your height, and for as bad as smoking is for your health, I doubt it altered your height much at all, if any.  I guess, I'm questioning your problem.  If it's not your paternity, what is the issue?  I'm not trying to be rude, just understand.
It appears many peoples questions are making you laugh tonight. I understand my height is what it is and can't be changed, I am not inquiring about this at all. I am generally content being 5'9.

I am basically just trying get a better understanding of why I am the way I am . Perhaps other people can relate or perhaps there is common explanation or insight for this sort of thing, other than "Genetics are an odd master."

I do find it odd that going back 3 generations nearly all of my family members that contributed dna to me were taller than I.
Height depends on a variety of factors including genetics, proper nutrition, adequate sleep, exercise, hormone levels, and overall health.  Smoking is linked to stunted growth in adolescents and teens.
Well, I don't think you're going to find an answer.  Why is a person's IQ what it is?  Why do some people get diseases while others don't?  Why do I have brown hair while you have red?  Genetics, environment, and roll of the dice.  The point is, you can't change it, you had no control over it, and if you're not concerned about your father being your father, move on with your life.  Be happy being you; you're the only you out there.