General Health Community
Pain in right side after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Pain in right side after eating

I am getting a sharp pain in my right side under the right rib shortly after eating.  Gripping pain but once passed no pain.  Another pain forms below the waist on the right side that almost lays me flat on the floor.  It is sharp and burns real bad and the pain tightens up and then is gone.
i have pain like this. i noticed it got worse after i ate and if i drank alcohol. i didnt notice the pain until i ended up getting really sick when i was 21 (i ended up with pneumonia because i wouldnt see a doctor) and after i went to the ER and they put me on very strong antibiotics it seemed to go away for awhile (i thought the pain was due to a kidney infection, since i get one of those every year or two). when the pain came back a month or two later i went to my family doc and right away he told me he thought it was my gallbladder. he sent me to have an ultrasound done and it confirmed that my gallbladder was only working at 6% (its supposed to work at 32%). funny thing about that it, though, is the doctor there (after telling me my gallbladder doesnt work) told me that it was all in my head and maybe my family doc should put me on some antidepressants. hah. i love doctors! he said that they could remove the gallbladder but i could still have residual pain in that area... but since i dont have health insurance he didnt want to do anything about it. anyway, moral of the story is.. i think you should have your gallbladder checked, especially since your pain comes AFTER eating. i get really sharp pains if i eat fatty foods. i was diagnosed with gallbladder disease 3 years ago and still havent had my gallbladder removed. to help avoid the pain, drink lots of water (avoid caffeine! and iced tea can leave deposits in your system which can cause gall stones!) and avoid foods high in fat or that are deep fried or are cream based (i found that eating soups like cream of crab REALLY hurt me!). i hope this helped. ~chrissee.
Thankyou I had a scan to see if it was gallstones and they said there weren't any but I ate before I had it done and still getting awful pains after eating very sick of it now jen
I had my right kidney removed a year ago after they found a cancerous tumor in it...in and out of the hospital in three days.  Have had six month check ups incl. chest x-ray and ultrasound of abdomen (checking area of both kidney locations, liver, spleen, etc.); so far told good.
Funny thing though; since having the surgery I seem to have great swelling around my mid section (also have a hernia in my tummy area) and get pain in my right side under my rib and around the side towards my back...worse with gluten, likely access sugar, etc.; didn't have this prob. prior ~~~ ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS SITUATION?  
Wonder if the extra gases/scar tissue are having an affect on me after eating.  I do have sixty pds. to lose so my gp is likely putting it down to needing to lose more weight ~ any ideas?
I would suggest you ask your doc to do an ultra sound because I had a CT Scan as well before I had my gallbladder removed and they didn't see anything. It wasn't until they did an ultrasound, is when they found the gallstones. Sometimes we have to request specific test some docs just do the normal and may just leave it there..