General Health Community
Pectus Carinatum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Pectus Carinatum

Hi.
I'm 15, almost 16, and i have mild pectus carinarum. it protrudes about 1 cm from what a normal chest would be. it is only cosmetic...i think. i am 6 foot 3 inch, and i weigh 180 pounds (80 kilos). i am still growing in height, and another 2 inches would be when i stop growing. i would not like to wear a brace unless it can be made unnoticeable by exercising. thats some info about me. now i have some questions:
-what effect does playing basketball have on the protrusion?
-is swimming 2x a week gonna help? how does swimming help? does it fix it or does it make it less visible???
-what excersises should i do to make it less noticeable? please be specific.
-will it get worse?
-will swimming/basketball/excersing prevent it from getting worse?
-in the case that i excercise cannot make it look unnoticeable, and that i have to wear the brace, does it have to be worn 24/7? i dont want to wear it at school and i obviously cant while doing sports.

thank you so much to all those that do reply. i cant sleep at night. i am afraid of myself....
oh also....
when my shoulders start to expand in my late ages of puberty, will the bump be less prominent?
I am in the same position as you. I'm 15 and my chest sticks out about  1cm. When I was about 10, my doctor said that it would correct itself over time, but not must has changed over the years. I don't know too much more about this pectus disorder, but I do know it can be safely corrected through sergery (surgery). Im not quite sure about the braces. I am assuming that gaining extra weight/muscles may reduce the look of it. Sorry I cannot supply you with much info, I'm facing the exact situation you are in.
surgury is really not necessary for this, and i really dont want that as an option
nobody should for only a 1cm protrusion.
ill see my phisiotherapist soon, and ill let u know what he tells me to do so i can help u out :)
Sweet. I'm not exactly liking the idea of surgery myself, but like you said if its only a minor disorder then it shouldn't be needed, as long as im able to play sports and stuff im fine. Please see what you can find out and post it here. I know its weird that im asking the questions on your question, but we both gotta find out:P
untill i do find out, if ppl make fun of u, heres a quote from the famous dr seuss.
"Those who mind, don't matter. Those who don't mind, matter."
also, for now i just do pushups every night
also, if u have a benchpress, USE IT
it helps SOOO much.
also, if u have pectus carinatum, u usually have a flare rib.
to help hide the or even fix it, do sit ups. the russian twist ones are the best kind for it.
k thx for the advice. I do push ups every day and situps too. I dont own any equipment so I should just try to go to the gym for now.
yeah guys i just turned 16 im pretty skinny lol

but yeah i have mild Pectus Carinatum but its about 2cm MAYBE 3 which also caused my mild scoliosis

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/assets/0/78/847/867/e4f17c59-868b-40c8-ba8d-cc3442e0c555.jpg

thats a picture pf a brace idk it looks like it can be removable since it COULD be removable yu might only have to wear it around the house

im planning on getting one of those soon :D