Perpetual sore throat
I got a cold about 6 weeks ago with lots of congestion, coughing and sneezing. The congestion and sneezing have left, however, a sore throat and coughing persists. When I cough, I cough up clear and opaque phlegm. I tried taking Claratin and that seems to help a little. But I'm starting to think that this is beyond allergies and might be a bacterial infection? Thank you, Ed
Is your sputum brown, gray or green.  That signifies an infection.  It could be that you have some asthma as a result of a brochial  infection.
OOOOps!   bronchial
Because this has gone on for so long, I would suggest you visit your doctor to examine your throat and chest if there is any problem in that area.

With a sore throat with a persistent cough you may now have pharangitis or tonsilitis (if you still have them).
Drink plenty of warm drinks and take pain relief in the dosages recommended.  You can also use antibacterial throat lozenges to soothe the soreness.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.
HI ED, JUST CURIOUS ARE YOU STILL SICK? I GOT A COLD ABOUT MARCH 24th THIS YEAR. WELL I HAD ALL THE REG. SYMPTOMS OF A REG COLD,, BUT JUST LIKE YOU STATED THE S O R E THROAT IS STILL THERE!!!! THE COUGH IS ONLY FROM A DRIP DOWN THE BACK OF MY THROAT NOT ( NOT THE YUCKY PHLEM) JUST A VERY SALTY CLEAR LIQUID THAT ITCHES/IRRITATES MY THROAT SO I COUGH. WELL IT HAS BEEN A MONTH FOR ME AND IT IS  RIDICULOUS. COLDS DONT EVEN LAST MORE THAN FOUR DAYS FOR ME. I WOKE UP TWO-THREE DAYS AGO AND MY TONGUE WAS HURTING NOW, AS WELL AS MY THROAT. LAST NIGHT I NOTICED THAT UNDER MY TONGUE ON BOTH SIDES HAVE THESE VERY SORE ROUND BUMPS (SIZE OF A LARGE PEA) AND A SMALLER ONE IN MY BOTTOM LIP WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GOING TO BECOME A FEVER BLISTER, SO FAR IT HASN'T. I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE OF THEM IN MY LIFE AND IT WAS 14 YRS AGO. WELL SORRY THIS IS SOO LONG, I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU HAD ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS AND IF YOU HAVE GOT WELL YET?  THANKS   HOPE TO HEAR BACK