General Health Community
Pins and Needles with sunburn?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Pins and Needles with sunburn?

So I went to the beach 4 days ago, and I got a sunburn only on my back, and it hasnt even been that bad and it hasnt even bothered me until last night, and now it feels like I am being stabbed randomly with needles all over my back. Its complete random and it will not stop.

this prevented me from sleeping last night even though i took sleeping medication, i've tried cold and hot showers, aloe Vera, wet washcloths, baths, every remedy i could find for a sunburn and all of them just agitated it more.

i cant hold still for more than 3 seconds and it is driving me absolutely insane, i have broken many bones in my past and i would gladly break them again to get some medication for this pain.

so what exactly is going on with my sunburn and what can i do to fix it? this is my last resort before i go to the hospital.

any help is appreciated thanks
I bet you haven't tried natural live yogurt!

Apply it to the skin, it will feel cold.  Yogurt draws out the inflamation (inflammation) and is cooling.  Put a lot on, not just a little.  Don't rub it into the skin, just apply lots of it on.  You may need more than a few applications if it very severe.

Works wonders on muscle strains and sprains too.

Best avoid getting burnt in the future.  But make sure when out in the sun you are either covered up or keeping applying and reapplying the sunblock as directed on the instructions.  

I have suffered with sunburn and sunstroke so know what it's like.

Best wishes
I do get that when I go out in the sun and get a sunburn at first im alright then its starts to stab then after that it itches like crazy it could be a medicine that your on or it could be too much sun
Vinegar is what  I use for sunburn - usually stops the itch, burn and discomfort immediately
I went through this agonizing process yesterday, I still have random pins and needle pains but they've subsided to large degree.

It hurt enough for me to scream a few times last night and I'm a pretty big guy with a fairly high pain threshold.

I took a healthy dose of benadryl and about a half hour after taking it the intense pins and needle feeling that was rippling across my back subsided and I was able to sleep. I don't know if it just ran its course or if the benadryl helped.

I had shingles on my back a few years ago and my gut tells me that my nerve endings are extremely delicate as I get older and maybe there is some sort of reaction, sort of like an allergic reaction, associated with this.

I tried aloe vera and solarcaine and those only seemed to further the issue, I put a towel in the freezer and it seemed to help a little when applied.

But really I have no clue what helped other than either letting it run its course or the benadryl.

Good luck to anyone that goes through this, it is extremely painful and you have my sympathy.
Benadryl makes you feel drowsy, so that is probably why it helped.

Plain cold yogurt is best for sunburn.  It cools and draws out the inflammation.