General Health Community
Popcorn & the Digestive Tract

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Popcorn & the Digestive Tract

Tried to ask the Gatroenterologist and the Nurse but didn't know where to post.  There was no selection choice.   I am wanting to know if microwave popcorn can irritate the colon/rectum and cause minor bleeding by cutting the lining?  
Popcorn is high in fiber, thus cleans the walls of the intestines, which is a good thing usually.  In some cases, it is NOT a good thing.  If you have an inflammatory bowel disease high fiber foods can further irritate the intestinal lining causing pain, bleeding, etc.  
if you eat half popped or un-popped kernels it can. especially if your one of those people who don't digest corn well, at that point its kind of like swallowing fine gravel or kitty litter. My hubby doesn't eat popcorn for this very reason.