General Health Community
Potassium(Not sure if this is the right place to ask this)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Potassium(Not sure if this is the right place to ask this)

I recieved my results yesterday from my blood test and my potassium was 7.5 kidneys were fine and im not a Diabetic the Doctor didn't tell me much except she did check it again so im waiting for my results which i dont go back until next Wednesday 4/20/2011.Should i be concerned?
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1268057_tn?1379102055
Are you sure that potassium level is correct?  Whoa!!!  It is way too high.

Did the physician give you anything to lowering it?  And yes, you should be concerned.  Ideally, you should probably in the hospital being monitored.  Your heart is very sensitive to potassium levels.  

Are you taking any medications?  Medical issues?  
Blank
She took it again i haven't gotten my result's back yet.She didn't seem to concerned and didn't give me anything to lower it.So im hoping maybe it was just a mistake cause she mentioned something about sometimes if you run many blood test at once it can cause high potassium i think that is what she said.No not takin medications no Medical issues everything on my blood test was normal white blood cell and red blood cell was normal kidnesy,liver was normal i dont know if that has anything to do with it?

BTW thanks for replying back to me.
Blank
1268057_tn?1379102055
Hopefully the first reading was a mistake.  
Blank
Thx for you're help i also forgot to mention it was a non fasting blood test i don't if maybe that could be a reason?
Blank
1268057_tn?1379102055
No, that shouldn't make any difference.  
Blank
Oh okay im going to a Different doctor today for a blood test and i heard when they draw the blood you're not supposed to clench you're fist would you happen to know about that?
Blank
1268057_tn?1379102055
Confused.  Didn't the first physician already recheck the potassium level and you will get the results on the 20th?  Why are going to another physician?  I don't really understand that.  I would just call the first physician's office and see if you can get the result now.  

Clenching your fist will not affect the result of the test.  Usually, I ask a patient to open and close his or her fist so that the vein will pop to the surface, but not to maintain a fist.  That has to do with accessing the vein and getting a good blood return.    

There is usually no fasting involved with a potassium lab.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...