General Health Community
Pressure & Lightheadedness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Pressure & Lightheadedness

For the past month I have been experiencing daily, constant lightheadedness. My feelings initially seemed to coincide with a fluttering feeling in my chest which I originally had received an EKG for. This began during an intensely stressful situation for me at work.  Nothing abnormal was found other than what the Dr. described as a slightly lower pressure when I sit up from a lying position (I guess it's supposed to do the opposite thing).  The fluttering went away but constant lightheadedness persisted from this point forward.  I am unsure whether they are related.  After about a week, I visited the ER and had blood tests, another EKG, and a chest XRay.  The other thing that came out of this was that the level of whatever released thyroid into my body was high however my actual thyroid level was normal.  After approximately 2 weeks of the lightheaded feelings, I visited my family physician who has placed me on Ativan to see if the reduction of anxiety would help the situation.  It really hasn't.  The lightheadedness increases during strenuous activity such as when I was cutting down the family Christmas tree or shoveling. At night, I barely notice it at all and if i am lying down and watching tv I cannot feel it.  In terms of it beig related to stress, I question this since I have the feeling at home and during weekends which are generally stress free for me. Also, my sister has MS

The feeling is really hard to get used to and I would love any opinions that I could go on.  I will be visiting my family physician again on Monday.
Low blood pressure will make you feel light headed ( I have it too). Also, if your blood suger is off. You should probably have a thyroid panel rechecked too. Since you have palpitations (the fluttering in the chest) the cause won't necessarily show up on an EKG. I have the fluttering too and it turned out to be pre atrial contractions or PAC's which are benign and you can sometimes feel your heart beat skip but it is actually not a skip. Anyway, you may want to get a 24 hour halter monitor test done and then see if it is PAC's or PVC's and maybe an echocardiogram plus the blood tests. It is not anxiety though sometimes they treat for that with anti-anxiety meds to stop the palpitations and anxiety an stress makes palipitations worse. Hope this helps.
mkh9
It possibly could be aniexty, I have had this problem for 4 years and not yet have a diagnoses, I have had every test done, It's frusterating when it wont go away and you have no answers for it.