General Health Community
Pus Cells in Stool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Pus Cells in Stool

My brother is 25 year old. Since last 2 months, he is suffering from loose motion. The stool is watery and every time his stomach pains before he passes the watery stool. The gastroenterologist started his treatment with the antibiotics with the diagnose of swelling on the intestine. But it did not help my brother. And just yesterday he underwent the stool test and the report showed the pus cells in his stool. Now tomorrow doctor will do more check up through endoscopy/colonoscopy to find the infection.

In this mean time, my brother has lost lots of weight and feels lots of weakness every time.
My questions are:
1) What would have caused the Pus Cells in Stool?
2) What is the treatment and how long the treatment coult take time?

Thanks in advacne for your help!
Dhvanish
It sounds like he has IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) Here is a link to some info about it:
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relatedconditions/f/mucusstool.htm

As to the treatment, I just am not sure, I know that you will need to keep in close contact with your physician and stick to what ever diet he/she gives you. The tests he will be getting are good, they will help to diagnose just what is wrong.

Good luck.
Susie
more pus cell indication infection in intestine.u need stool culture with sensitivity if it positive u shoude take sensitive antybiotic under docter's recomadation.if stool culture nagative u shoude go for blood test with esr,cpr , hiv and thyroid.if all r normal then finaly u shoud go for colonoscopy.then u fix that u have ibs i mean all r normal and failed to diagnoged.lost of weight and weakness r not symtoms (symptoms) for ibs.
Chron's and Colitis are inflammatory condtions of the bowel that are commonly diagnosed at ages 15-30 years. A colonoscopy will be able to tell the difference between the two.

Weakness and weight loss are a result of poor absorbtion of nutrients because the intestines are inflammed. Antibiotic treatment to manage infection; steroids to reduce inflammation (prednisone) and resting the bowel by not having any food by mouth; pain management is important as the bowel heals. Intravenous nutrition is important to maintain adequate fluids, amino acids, and fats.

Keep us posted on how your brother is doing. Well wishes to both of you!