General Health Community
Right quadrant pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Right quadrant pain

I have a consistent pain on my right quadrant side. It has been almost two yrs this pain started. Doctors have ruled out kidney stones, gall bladder. I cannot lay on my left side because it makes the pain worse. Sitting is very uncomfortable. It feels like a deep pain. It is annoying.  Gastro Doctor this morning said it is probably related to liver and linings. So when I lay on my left side, my liver moves or pulls. To diagnose this, they would need to insert a scope in my liver. But says that this type of pain only occurs with women! And if right I would be the first male. I need help figuring out what's wrong with me please! Thank you. I did take INH pills treatment for tb exposure. Would this have damaged liver or could it be a tumor?
A. Perez
Elko, NV
"I have a consistent pain on my right quadrant side. It has been almost two yrs this pain started. Doctors have ruled out kidney stones, gall bladder. I cannot lay on my left side because it makes the pain worse. Sitting is very uncomfortable. It feels like a deep pain."

There are many things that can cause right upper quadrant pain. You say they have rules out kidney stones and gall bladder issues but there are still other possibilities. Your liver can can be the cause. Have you been tested for Hepatitis? Besides the liver, the pancreas stretches from the right upper to left upper quadrant and the pain is usually felt deep as your describing. Ask your Dr. to check for pancreatitis. Stomach issues also cause URQ pain such as Gastritis, Peptic Ulcers, and Gastroenteritis. Ask for an H-Pilory breath test to rule  that out.

Are there any other symptoms other than pain? Do you experience nausea ? Does it get worse with eating? A little more description will help rule out things. It may not even be in digestive nature. Do you have back issues? Many times undiagnosed abdominal pain ends up being referred pain from the thoracic spine. I hope some of this info helped.

http://symptom.healthline.com/symptomsearch?addterm=Right%20Upper%20Quadrant%20Pain

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/upper-back-pain-thoracic/t-spine-causing-stomach-pain
With all the possibilities that might be causing your pain, I would go to the best hospital in your area to the Emergency Room.  There is more support with a doctor and all lab, x-ray, Cat Scan equipment, etc. is right there to get as much covered in your exam as needed.  Some answers and good recommendations will be given to you to solve this a lot faster than making rounds of office appointments.  The above reply is excellent. I think my suggestion might speed up the process of getting you diagnosed and relieved.
I am a woman who experienced exactly what you are experiencing. I have back issues, and I took this pain to be part of the overall inflammation I had in my body. I also worried about my liver, but my liver is fine. For some reason it focused on my right side, at my waist, throughout the whole center of my side, and yes--it hurt worse laying on my left side. I experienced it off and on for years. As if it was part of a flare-up. It eventually went away for good. I take Indocin for inflammation, so perhaps that is what keeps it at bay. However I DID go in and have a CT scan of my liver. During the procedure I had my arm up on my right side. The under side of my arm was exposed to the machine. My scan was completely clear----but I did wind up with a nasty case of shingles in the exact same spot that my arm was exposed to the radiation. The shingles presented within 24 hours. It was nasty and I was only about 40 years old at the time! The doctor said that was impossible, but then doctors are often in the dark about a lot of things! If you go for a scan, please protect the areas on your body that might get exposed to the radiation! You also might have inflammation from a food allergy or sensitivity. Only you can figure that out, as you may still test negative for a food that really DOES bother you. Gluten and dairy are often the culprits.

Lower right quadrant pain can be appendicitis, may hurt off and on for a few years, might not show up on ultra sound or scan. When it gets really bad and you vomit--go to ER. My husband experienced this very thing over a two year period and had all the scans. All were negative--until the day it got so inflamed that he vomited and I MADE him go to the hospital. Turns out only the upper tip of his appendix was inflamed (but inflamed terribly!), which is why it didn't present any sooner. It was inflamed enough to cause accute pain and enough of a bother that they immediately operated on him. He's fine now.

Upper right quadrant is gall bladder and pancreas. If you feel intense pain after a large fatty meal that could be it.(?) You didn't say what quadrant (lower or upper) .

Good luck!
I wouldn't go to the ER unless the pain was severely acute and there was vomiting. Mostly because the hospital bills are extremely high and tests most likely will show nothing. Depends on your insurance, but I'd stick with the regular doctor since it is a week day.
it could be very bad constipation and block in your colon i get that sometimes very painfull can have it for hours