General Health Community
Sebaceous Cyst Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Sebaceous Cyst Removal

I had a sebaceous cyst removed about 3.5 years ago. I had had it for most of my life
however, after being pregnant it became very large and sore so my dermatologist recomended
removal. After the removal, the incision site on my scalp stretched. Now I have a bald spot where it was.
It has made me extremely self conscious. Especially when I want to go to the pool with my
son and it definitely affects my hairstyle. I have to comb my hair over it and I can't change the style of my hair
at all. I am afraid when the wind blows if that the spot is exposed. Are there any suggestions from anyone as to what I can do? Has anyone else had this happen after the removal of a cyst on your scalp? Thank you
so much for your answers in advance.

This discussion is related to Sebaceous Cyst on scalp.
I had a cyst removed about 7 years ago and the EXACT thing happened to me. I have a bald spot the size of a dime. Since I am a male and cut my hair short, it was very noticeable. It has haunted me ever since the operation. I tried everything to hide it but ultimately it shows. I even went back to the doctor who did the procedure and asked about hair restoration but he mentioned that it most likely wouldn't work. The only thing he suggested was trying to make the spot thinner instead of being round. This however came with the risk of it actually getting bigger and longer. It was a risk I could not take. I am not sure what to do about this burden. It is a question I ask everyday and have yet to solve. If you find something that can help, please let me know. Thanks!
You might actually have to get the bald spot cut out having the scalp with hair around the bald spot sewn together.  You would want to speak with a plastic surgeon about this and insurance won't pay, but I think you have options if you speak with the right doctor and are willing to suffer the cost consequences.
I would suggest consulting with a plastic surgeon for a scar revision.  Sometimes when they remove a cyst the underlying sac is larger than what appears on the surface therefore closing it can cause the tissue to stretch.  There is not a lot of fatty tissue to  when closing the wound. The scalp is one place we do not carry a great deal of extra skin to use.  Thin skin stretches easier.