General Health Community
Severe tail bone pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Severe tail bone pain

I have a pain that starts at the end of my tailbone but I can not explained the pain.  The pain gets so bad it takes my breathe and it has caused me to pass out. The pain is centralized around the tailbone but describing it is impossible.
I can try, it starts with a radiating pain from my tailbone.  My tailbone was fractured during childbirth. The pain continues to get more intense while still radiating from the tailbone. I have not found a method to ease the pain. It takes 1-3 hours to run its course.
Surgical removal of all or a portion of the coccyx (coccygectomy) is an option if you have tried all other methods of pain relief.

An article to check out is "Surgical removal of coccyx (coccygectomy)". This is an excerpt..

"This operation used to have a bad reputation among some doctors, and some will still advise you that it should never be done. But clinical trials show success rates of 50-90%, rising to 80-90% in patients who are 'good candidates' for surgery, and have it performed by a surgeon with plenty of experience and success with this operation. A study published in 2001 summarised 24 separate trials of this operation. The trials covered a total of 702 patients operated on. The result was reported as 'good' or 'excellent' in 83% of cases."
I have heard that the rail bone never recovers correctly. Is that true? (I'm justbeing lazy now!) Thank You!
I injured my tail bone about 12 years ago and I still have to use a wedge cushion with a cutout in the back for car rides of 3 hours or more.  In my case, it didn't fully recover.  It used to hurt a lot more until I lost 20 pounds, got a new softer mattress, and took up yoga.  Now it only starts to hurt if I sit on the floor or a hard chair.

With the pain you describe, you should definitely talk to a doctor, perhaps an orthopedist who specializes in the spine, to see what is going on and find out what you can do about it.
PLEASE SEE A NEUROSURGEON OR AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON ASAP. THEY WILL ORDER A LUMBAR AND SACRAL IMAGING TEST SUCH AS AN MRI OR CT. DONT DELAY!
I know you have read my other post. I have no ideal if these things are related or not. I have hep c, a PFO closure, mutiple TIAs in the past and severe depression. Thank You! For taking me seriously I always think people will think I'm making all this up.
Two years of the exact same pain you describe. I found a physical therapist that actually straighted my tailbone and is now working with me to alleviate the remaing pain from weakened back muscles. Hang in there. You're not crazy. Get X-rays or MRI.
horrible very hard to sit still for any point of time, pain meds no longer help with actual pain.