Sharp, intermittent pains in the side of neck
I have been getting this intermittent sharp pain on the right side of my neck , about 1-2 inches directly below my ear, for several months now.  It's a sharp, stabbing pain in a very tiny area, lasting 5-10 seconds at a time. It doesn't feel like a muscle cramp.  It can happen at any time, whether I'm lying in bed or sitting at my desk at work.  I mentioned it to my doctor several months ago, but she seemed to dismiss it as nothing, never asking any questions about it or anything.  What could this be, and what can I do about it?
Could be a pinched nerve or a misplace vertebrae, since your doc doesn't seem to know what to do or what it is, I would suggest you see a chiropractor, they specialize in neck pain and such, also, try putting some ice on it and alternating with heat, this might help.
Could be.  But if it were a pinched nerve, would it start hurting when I'm not even moving, just laying down, or sitting at my desk?  The pain is in the side of my neck, so I do not think it would be a misplaced vertebrae.  I've had that before, I know exactly what that feels like!  Ouch!  But where it is located on the side of my neck, it seems like it would be a lymph node/gland, but I'm not really sure.  But I'll try the alternating ice and heat.  Thanks for the advice!
Yes, even though you do not move, a pinched nerve can hurt. I have had them and they will all of a sudden send a shooting pain in the area where they are pinched, it hurts big time. Even though the pain is on the side of your neck, the vertebrae could still be touching the nerve, they call this "referred pain"

Did the ice and heat help?
I have not tried it yet.  I has not been bothering me the past couple of days, so I had not gotten around to the ice and heat.  But I will, if it starts acting up again.  Thanks!