General Health Community
Sharp pain in right toe joint for a year

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Every few months I would wake up at night with this strange, sharp pain in my right toe, it would last for a few weeks then get better.

The last time it happened was the most painful and it has never fully healed ever since. It's been a year! I had a strange dream of an unfamiliar old man punching me in the foot repeatedly and I woke up with my foot in excruciating pain. I don't know if I'm sleep walking or if someone really is sneaking into my house and punching me or what. For weeks the pain levels were so severe, sharp and throbbing that it felt similar to being electrocuted. It was also noticably swollen and injured!

They tested me for Gout, and after ruling that out my Physio suspected it was Sciatica because I had injured my pelvis/lower back during sports a few days before the last time my foot began to hurt.

Traction actually did help the excruciating electrocuting feeling in my foot subside, and just like he said, my foot pain decreased and I began to experience terrible, sharp lower back pain. He was therefore convinced he was right about it being sciatica. But then after awhile of treatment, no further progress happened and he took a look at my foot to see it was swollen. He seemed very surprised and said, "I have no idea what this is. I thought your foot pain was caused by your lower back but now I see that your foot is actually injured too. It is separate."
I told him, "I did nothing to injure it! I was sleeping!"
And he said, "I have no clue what this is."
Since then, I have been to 3 more physiotherapists a chiropracter and a dozen massage therapists. None of them knew for sure what was wrong with me! Nothing shows up on my x-rays either, not for my foot or my back.

The woman I'm seeing now has helped me the most, and she is just a massage therapist who gives me somatics to do. She seems convinced that my back pain was just a series of very tight muscles. One time her somatic therapy proved very effective, and for once in a long time my lower back felt pain free so I do trust her opinion.  

I also went on a long kayaking expedition, I thought it would be brutal on my lower back having to sit and paddle all day but since I used a hammock to sleep in, I felt 0 pain on my entire trip. I am now ordering an indoor hammock to sleep on permanently. If I just sleep on a bed, any bed it seems, my back hurts first thing in the morning. But using a hammock, my back didn't hurt me at all throughout the entire day.

But my massage therapist also seems convinced that my foot pain might just be facsia tissue, so she has me stepping on a squishy ball to release the tissue. To me it feels like it is right in the joint though. I've only been doing this for a couple weeks, doesn't seem to be making it worse but it doesn't seem to be making it any better. Actually a few times it seems to feel a little better right afterwards, but then it's just as painful and raw and throbbing as before.

Anyway, I want to know if anyone has had this happen and what you did to get rid of it. This chronic pain is horrible and I can't put full weight on that toe joint, I haven't been able to for a year now. I want to be able to do my sports this september.

P.S. Still waiting on an MRI, he said it's going to take another year.
Seems like you have done everything you can, my only suggestion is to just soak it in Epsom salts, if the chiropractor can not help, I am not sure what it is.

This is way off track, but, have you been checked for diabetes? Sometimes diabetic neuropathy can cause bad pain in the feet and toes.