General Health Community
Shocks during EKG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Shocks during EKG

I am a 35 year old male. Recently, I had an episode where my left arm went numb. This numbness extended all the way into my jawline. I also experienced flushing and dizziness. I went to the ER and they performed an EKG to see if I was having a heart attack. The EKG results were normal, but during the EKG, I was feeling tiny, electrical shocks. It felt like there were several 9 volt batteries on my body where the EKG tags were placed. The doctors told me that wasn't normal, but then said it must have been one of those strange things that happens. Can anyone else give me an explanation as to what might have caused those shocks?
Hello, I worked on a cardiac floor for many years and never had a patient experience this.  The electrodes have a backing that basically serves as an insulator to prevent this but there is one small metal area in the center that conducts the electricity.    If your skin was wet with sweat or cleaning solution/alcohol under the electrodes this may have caused the sensation, or if their machine had a short or a malfunction going on with it could also had caused this.

Some people have a lot of static/electricity in their bodies as well and although I've never had a patient experience it doesn't mean it wasn't something in your body causing it.  

I personally think they should have removed all the electrodes, reapplied new ones, and tried it again.  If it occurred the second time they should have tried another EKG machine, but since they didn't check to make sure the problem wasn't their machine, I guess you'll not know until you have to have another one.  Have A Nice Night!
I hesitate to state that receiving a shock from an EKG machine is impossible.

Clearly the physician did not take you seriously.

The machine should have immediately been taken out of service and a report filed with the FDA, which regulates such devices. The FDA published a monthly report of problems that have been reported to them involving medical devices This report is called the Device Experience Network Report (or DEN report).

I would suggest you electronically file an account of your experience with the FDA on their website, and also e-mail the hospital that you have done so. Provide time, date, and the names of the person(s) present. Send a copy to the hospital legal department. This should catch their attention.