General Health Community
Sickness, stomach pains...linked to B12?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I was recently diagnosed with a B12 defficiency (level was 190) and was given a 2 week course of 3 injections a week.  I also had various other blood test which showed my thyroid and glucose as normal, but I apparently test positive for 'other things'.  All my doctor told me was that they didn't understand the results as it doesn't mean I have them.  the only thing he told me was rheumatism.

However since the jabs i've not been well, although I appreciate allergic reactions are rare, could they have provoked it?  I've lost my appetite, feel sick and have stomach pains usually after eating.  It's not constant and I haven't tried to work out if it's linked to certain foods.

I know the cause of low B12 is linked to many things, so should I go back and ask for more tests/explanations, or am I being paranoid and could this just be a lingering bug???

Hi Chloe,

Low B12 can cause many things and can BE caused by many things.  

What's interesting is that your stomach producses something called Intrinsic Factor. Without it, your body *cannot* absorb Vitamin Bs.  So I'm wondering, if you have stomach problems, perhaps the causation is backwards?  Stomach issues related to malabsorption of vitamin B12.  Perhaps?  

Regardless of whether your new symptoms are related or a lingering bug, I would definitely follow up with your doctor and get a clear explanation as to what the tests "mean". An "I dont know" from the doctor doesn't clear anything up.  But getting a good explanation of what he was either trying to diagnose or rule out will help you and other doctors into the future.  

Are you now taking oral Vitamins to supplement your nutrition?  In fact, has your doctor referred you to a nutritionist?  If there is no problem with your GI tract and you still have low Vitamin B12, a nutritionist may be able to help you get more in your diet. But first things first - find out from your doctor what he was testing for.  Find out what he ruled out.  And have him explain how he thinks the deficiency developed.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Common Side Effects of Injections of Vitamin B12

There are many side effects that patients may experience from injections of vitamin B12. The more common side effects include:

* Mild diarrhea
    * Upset stomach
    * Nausea
    * A feeling of pain and a warm sensation at the site of the injection
    * A feeling, or a sense, of being swollen over the entire body
    * Headache
    * Joint pain

If any of these side effects become severe or troublesome, let your doctor know right away.
Did they test you for Celiac?