General Health Community
Sneezing for no reason

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Sneezing for no reason

Just recently I started sneezing from 2x up to 6-12x at a time.  I don't suffer from allergies, but afterwards I may have to blow my nose.

What can cause this to happen?
The reason we sneeze is the body's natural way of getting rid of an irritant.

The irritant can be from a virus, bacteria, dust, fumes, perfumes, feathers, pollen, animal dander.  Some people are more sensitive than others.

Although you may not suffer from allergies, as we get older we still can become allergic to something.

You may be just coming down with a cold virus.
It happens. Once a month or so I have sneezing fits. I'll sneeze for 15-20 minutes. Personally, I love it because it drives my cat nuts.

It's perfectly normal and happens. As Jemma said, something irritated your nose, so you sneezed.
This happened to my husband every morning. When we first married he told me it had been going on every morning for 15-20 years and no one could tell him why.He'd sneeze, then again, then pause, and then he'd sneeze like 10 times in a row. Every morning! I began noticing that it always started after he got out of the shower and started combing his hair (it's very long - to his waist for career purposes), and this would be when he had his head bent over and was combing out the hair. The hair was very close to his face and his nose was surrounded, so to speak. I suggested the scent of the shampoo and conditioner was irritating his system. The lack of fresh air was just making it worse.The other times his "sneezing fits" would happen would be when I would clean with anything with a floral scent or use any kind of sprinkle-on scented carpet freshener. I'm happy to say that after going "scent free" on most of our products - his sneezing is much much less.
My daughter and I sneeze every evening about 10 times around the same time.  No rhyme or reason... we just sneeze.  usually when the sun is going down... maybe the change in temperature?  Whatever, it just happens.