General Health Community
Stiff, Painful Knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Stiff, Painful Knee

Two weeks ago after I got up for the day, my left knee was very stiff.  It was painful and a little bit swolen.  I couldn't bend it or walk without causing even more pain.  This caused me to limp, but I went slowly about my business each day.  The third day, it got less stiff and less painful, but hasn't changed since then.  The improvement was fairly significant.  It is still somewhat stiff and painful, and I'm still limping since that improvement 11-12 days ago.  It hasn't gotton any better since the third day improvement.  I do not know of anything I have done to cause this.  This has never happened before, and I can't imagine what is causing it.  I do not drink or use illegal drugs, so I'm always sober.

My main question is:  How long should I expect this to last?  Should I wait it out or go to the doctor.  I really don't want to go to the doctor because of the cost.  I just don't have the money.

Also,  does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thank you very much.
Hi Rick~I would see a chiropractor for this problem. It appears to me that you could have some misplaced vertebrae in the spine and they could be pressing on some nerves causing hip and leg pain. Chiropractors specialize in this type of problem and it costs a lot less than a visit to the doctor.

Good luck
Susie
Definitely see a chiropractor, like SassyLassie suggested.  I have some similar issues involving my legs and knees.  The adjustments really help a lot!  I'm sure if you give it a chance, you'll notice an improvement, too.  It's exactly for the reasons already mentioned.  This even helps my sciatica.  I still need to do other things for the sciatica, but the chiropractor greatly improves the problems I have through spinal alignment.
With due respects, you need to see a physician, M.D. type, preferably one with experience in sports medicine. Alternatively go to an emergency room.

There are two primary possibilities. Fluid build up, or a damaged miniscus. The x-ray, which is the only tool available to the chiropracter, is obsolete. A 3T MRI is definitive.

More likely there is fluid build up. In such a case a large hypodermic syringe is used to draw out the liquid and you will become 100 percent pain free instantly. This is rather painless, but it looks awful, so avoid fainting by closing your eyes.

After this procedure the knee may recover and remain so for years.

Now comes the part where an M.D. is necessary. The fluid extracted mkust be analyzed under a microscope, to determine, among other things, if there are blood cells present.