General Health Community
Sting Ray Sting/ Infection/Damaged tendon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I was stung on the top of my foot by a stingray a couple of weeks ago in the Gulf in Florida-  the pain from the puncture wound was bad, but the pain from the venom an hour later was excrutiating.  Here is a summary of treatment:
12/29 - sting- treated by soaking in hot water to neutralize venom, took codeine for extreme pain
12/30- went to urgent care clinic- got tetnus shot, antibiotics (10 days) and steroid pack
Back in Tennesse, 1/3- went to podiatrist due to pain in walking- she took x-rays and said the barb was not stuck in my foot, that the bones were okay but assumed that a tendon was probably damaged from the puncture- she suggested staying off of it for 4 more days
1/8 I'd retruned to work on the 7th, foot was pretty swollen and red,school nurse suggested I see a DR- went to a nurse practitioner at a walk in clinic- foot is infected around wound - got 7 more days of antibiotics and a steroid shot
Today 1/15-  foot still swollen, soreness and pain, some numbness and poor movement of toes- went back to the nurse practitioner- she gave me an anti-inflammatory and wrapped the foot for compression- she felt around injury and could tell the tendon is damaged-  we talked about that I needed to see a podiatrist again- so I have an appointment for Thursday.
My question is- what will the podiatrist do?  How much should I be on my feet?  I have tried to research this but really have just found info on ankle tendons- not those on the top of the foot- The puncture from the stingray went in about an inch (or so it felt).  Do I need an MRI? if the tendon is severed can it repair itself without surgery?
I am a 42 year old female teacher with 2 teenagers- it is my right foot.  I have been walking on it in crocs some and have been back to work a few days now.  When I am home I keep it elevated.  It is swollen even when I wake up in the morning.  There is a raised purplish area around the wound bt it is no longer infected.  It hurts on the inside  of my foot.  I am limping around.
Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated-  when I got stung I had no idea it would be such a big deal- thanks!
wow , thats bad i got stung by one years ago it was very painfull i went to hotel room soaked my foot for hours getting posion out , it hurt everytime the water cooled down it was swollen a few days but than went down,it also bleed a few days out of the wound, but my foot never did what yours is doing and i didnt go hospital or take antibiotics. you really got abad sting , they said mine was a bay would not want to feel the bigger ones it was very painful before i could get to the hotel from beach my whole leg hurt and could not walk on it , good luck hope they get it fixted up. Barbara
It sounds exactly like what happened with me last week!!! I am so sore and swollen as we speak!  I am going to see a surgeon tomorrow to see if they can fit me in ASAP.  I was at the emergency room today and they said it's infected.  I am heavily medicated and still feel like ****.  I can barely walk on it.  It is miserable.  The same steps you followed: soaking, tetnus shot, Urgent care, etc.  It's gotten worse over time, not better. I am soooo frustrated.  There isn't a lot of information out there.
I am three weeks into my stingray sting.  It oozed venom for 1 1/2 weeks and then the puncture site started growing.  The tissue has died from the venom.  The doctor tried to debis the area, but was unsucessful.  They now have me putting Silver Sulfadiazine on it to soften the tissue for easier removal.  I go back in 5 days for what will be the first of several "cleanings".  I was told by the doctor it could take months before the process is complete.  I still have a limp and am still in a great deal of pain. I'm just tired of the constant pain.
What kind of Dr.?  A podiatrist?  My husband was stung 2.5 weeks ago.  He has been to urgent care, ER and a podiatrist.  They did an x-ray and found that something was in there, close to the bone.  Podiatrist dug at it (with no anesthesia) with no luch.  It's still pretty swollen and hurts.  I can't believe the lack of knowledge out there!  Those 3 places didn't even help him!
I was stung 3 weeks ago on a Friday, whlie I was in Fl. in Ft, Meyers beach..I stepped on a stingray.bottom of foot 2nd and 3rd toe.it hurt and burned soooo sooo bad.. the cut was like a razor slice which bled, I immediatly ran out of ankle deep water up to my hotel room...told by a patron to urinated on it then use hot water...it hurt but I was in a tropical paradise and dnt think much more about it..except it still really hurt..that night I had really bad leg cramps and in the a.m diherria. Still carried on ..in the paradise .. realizing the stairs were becoming more diffucult on Sat. not much of an appetite. Sunday, our flight came back to Michigan and I was getting congested, Monday I ached all over I called my Dr. and explained() which I also have bee allergy.. they said go toER.. I waited.. Monday night my husband said I was making funny noises while sleeping, Tuesday I started coughing / gagging up this clear gunk..I took niquil and went to bed..my hubby woke me up because he said I was squeeking and wheezing..I went to ER.Wed.morning. they tried to tell me I had a cold..I explained... my blood pressure was 168/68..I always run low. then would drop to 96/55.. they gave me breathing treatments and steroid in I.V ..I felt way better.. Dr. said i had anphalaxis from stingray..take steroids at home...hope you feel better, if not come back.. Fri. I returned..to the main campus hospital where they did xray and saw "something" but were afraid to go fishing around??!!..and my blood pressure was 170/90..sent me on my way home with steroids... Sat. I felt bad.. Sunday.. I was  fatigued and weak.. Monday, desperate..I randomly stopped at a foot Dr. office for help..because they dnt take my insurance she wouln't see me, so off I went to my pcp...I told her i'm in trouble..I need help an and explained what had happened.. I told her I had been in contact with a hospital in Fl. and I need to get stinger out of my foot.(Which you could see).. she said I'll order an ultrasound..10 days later they called for that appnt...however..that same Monday night my hubby took me to another hospital where they admitted me ..my heart rate was all over the place..and I was like a rag doll.. after an MRI they found 2 barbs..they removed Wed. them and then finally put me anitbotics.and stayed 5 days in hospital til Fri.. Since, I have been released I had to return to Dr. on Monday because 2 small black things reappeared..he scraped them out.. now I have to go back cuz I'm developing a lump and it feels like I have glass in my 2nd toe still!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh!!  This is a mess!! lil stingray has a big punch!
We live in Michigan also and my husband was stung in Mexico on his foot at the bone of a large bunion.  Had severe pain on the way to hotel room all the way up his leg to the groin and he soaked it in hot water and took Benedryl.  This was almost 3 weeks ago.  Now he just left for Urgent Care because he can hardly walk on his foot since the pain is so bad.  He is not one to complain so it has probably been bothering him for a while.  He is not back yet but I found your comment and was wondering how you are now in mid-January.