General Health Community
Stomache worries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Stomache worries

I started having a diarrhoea type thing about two weeks ago. First i got the chills, extremely high fever and complete loss of appetite. I called the doctor and she said it should pass in about 2-3 days. I though it would so I let it be, my bowel movement, however, has not gone back to normal completely at all. Now, two weeks after I had a high fever and the bad diarrhea came back. (admittedly I had been out drinking heavily before it came back). I think there might be some mucus in the stool and it is sort of yellowy-green with pencil thin soft stools and a horrible smell. I am worried that I have some sort of C-Diff. disease or liver damage but I really dont know whether to worry or not. I also don't have the diarrhoea in the sense as in I need to use the bathroom because otherwise I have to go involuntarily but that I have abdominal pains that I hope to be relieved if I go to the bathroom.
Oh and also, I am only 19 years old so it shouldnt be colon cancer or anything I hope.
It sounds like you have an infection somewhere. Do you have abdominal pain with this?
Get checked for intestinal parasites.

There is a huge majority of people who have them and don't even know it.

I went through something similar, and found out I had Flukes! Flukes aren't even that heard of in the USA, and come from fish.  I don't eat fish...but I had them and was very sick...throwing up too.  It took a couple months of going through what you are and being told it was maybe a flu or sinus infection.

Well it's best for everyone to always look at what the expel in the toilet. Be it poop or pee...that can tell a lot about what is going on in your system.

I looked one day when I was very sick and what I saw wasn't nice.   I had looked before, but they can hide and some are microscopic.

Go see a doctor and make them listen to you.  Maybe do some research on your symptoms....print them out and take them to your doc.

Good luck to you!
I think so too. And yes I have abdominal pains. Everytime I stand up or swallow something, even drink water, my abdominal area starts hurting. It's very frustrating, this is the 5th time I am ill in 3 months.
Thanks for the advice! I hope it isn't too serious. Wish to be healthy for my graduation and summer holidays ;) How did you get rid of it then??
I went to the doctors....I told him and he didn't believe me at first. But I was persistent and told him the "monster" I saw in the toiled. (I probably wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't been sooooooo sick.)

He prescribed me praziquantel and I had to take 3 of the pills in one day.

You really can't self-treat the problem if there is one, but do some research online about intestinal parasites and the symptoms.

If you feel like you have those symptoms, go see your doc...print up what you've found online and go from there.

I was sick from about February - May on and off, but seemed worse each time.  I was even at the ER and they thought it was a sinus infection.   It wasn't.

I got treated for the flukes on May 16, and I haven't had any problems since.

Do you get constipated at points, then BOOM, sick again?  I did.  I'm glad I got treated, however I won't use any of our tap water anymore....I suspect the well water here, but from what I've read they can live up to 30 years in someones body.

Here is one sites list of symptoms:

Over half of all Americans will be infected with an intestinal parasite at some point in their lives. Yet, many of us do not recognize the signs and symptoms of a parasite infection because they can occur weeks or even years after the initial infection, and because a parasitic infection often mimics other similar conditions.

The most common symptoms of a parasite infection include constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating, irritable bowel syndrome, joint and muscle aches, anemia, allergies, skin conditions, tumors, nervousness, sleep disorders, teeth grinding, chronic fatigue, and immune dysfunction.

1) Constipation
Some parasitic worms are actually large enough to physically block the passage of nutrients and waste at certain points in the digestive system. Severe parasitic infections in the bile duct or the intestines can make bowel movements difficult, leading to worsened symptoms of constipation.

2) Diarrhea
Another common symptom of parasites, is the development of diarrhea, or frequent, loose, watery stools. Many parasites produce a prostaglandin that leads to a sodium and chloride loss in the body. This in turn can causes diarrhea. This process is especially true in the case of protozoan infection.

3) Gas and Bloating
Parasites that live in the upper small intestines can cause intestinal symptoms such as inflammation that leads to gas and bloating. Frequent occurrences of gas and bloating are classic signs of a parasite infection. The discomfort is aggravated by the consumption of hard to digest foods such as beans and non-organic meats.

4) Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the more common symptoms of parasites, is irritable bowel syndrome. It is not uncommon for IBS to be caused by an intestinal parasite, because they can dig in and attach themselves to the intestinal wall. This often causes irritation and inflammation that can in turn lead to muscle spasms, intestinal blockage, and a malabsorption of nutrients. Fatty substances in particular can be difficult to digest.

5) Joint and Muscle Aches
Intestinal parasites can also move and migrate throughout the body. It is not uncommon for them to become encysted in joint fluids or even in the muscles themselves. This causes pain, aching and irritation that are often mistaken for arthritis. Joint and muscle pain can also be caused by the body’s own immune system response to the parasite infection.

Good luck to you and Congratulations on your graduation!!
Also, try web md symptom checker....it may be something else, but whatever it is, it isn't fun or healthy and you're too young to be unhealthy and having those problems.