General Health Community
Strong stomach and neck pulse

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Strong stomach and neck pulse

I'm 16 years old. I'm 5'7 and about 105 lbs so i'm very thin. I've been noticing for the past 5 or so months I've been having a strong heart beat/pulse. It's always constant even when I just wake up from sleeping I notice it. I see the pulse in my stomach area and my neck. I can look at my shirt and see it moving with my heart beat. Is this normal? I am very worried, and the more I think about it the more harder my heart beats. I've been to the ER twice over this. They did an EKG, underlying heart disease test, x-ray, and a blood test and everything was fine. The doctor just said that my heart was beating a little faster than normal and he thought I was dehydrated so he gave me an IV. It didn't help me at all, when I left it was still beating just as fast. Sometimes I do feel like i'm having shortness of breath and I feel I have to take deep breaths. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder. I want to know if there's something serious wrong with me because I keep worrying about this everyday. I have a phobia of dying young..
Avatar n tn
Are you on anything for your anxiety? I think it's just basically a minor anxiety attack/panic attack that you are experiencing. Have you ever experienced any tingling in your fingers while this happens? It's happened to me. Don't be offended for me asking please, but do you have an eating disorder? That is quite underweight sweetie.
No i'm not on anything. I have never experienced tingling in my fingers, I do tremble and shake a lot. I don't think I have an eating disorder, I am aware that i'm not fat. It's just that I don't come from a very wealthy family and a lot of times there isn't much to eat here and even when there is I just don't have the appetite to eat. I've been trying to eat healthier, so I mostly drink liquids and only eat like 2 small meals a day and I never eat breakfast.
Avatar n tn
You should talk to your doctor, there are a lot of medications out there that can help with the anxiety. I am worried though about your weight, maybe try to see if you can get to eat a little more? Because, if you look it up, if you are undernourished it WILL have a huuuge effect on your heart.
Avatar n tn
A 16 year old (female) child
who is 105 pounds
and is 5 feet and 7 inches tall has
a body mass index of 16.5,
which is below the 5th percentile,

and would indicate that your child is underweight.
But I've always been small. Last year I weighed 109 lbs and I didn't have this issue . I used to eat a lot and I never gained much weight. I guess it's due to high metabolism. I don't know what's wrong with me.. I'm afraid of dying over a heart attack or something
Avatar n tn
Heart irregularities and blood vessel diseases are both possible side effects of chronic underweight, according to the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services. Such diseases and conditions might include heart arrhythmia, vasculitis, heart murmur or heart palpitations.

Avatar n tn
It could be just the anxiety. Thats what happens when you are anxious, your heart pounds faster, and harder. I say the first step is try to talk to a doctor about the anxiety and tell them all about your heart pounding. Ask about being put on an anti-anxiety medication.