General Health Community
Surgery for pectum excavatum?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Surgery for pectum excavatum?

I am 53 and have a mild case of pectum excavatum. I would love to hear about someone who had the corrective surgery.  I would also like to have names of Doctors at Hopkins who are experienced in this type of condition.

This discussion is related to Pectus Excavatum Question.
Paul Colombani at Hopkins did mine. He is one of the best around.

The surgery hurts a lot and I would highly recommend taking some serious time to think about it before doing it. I had it done at age 25 and it took me about 2-3 months to get back to normal activities. Had to spend 1 month out of work right afterwards. The pain is pretty awful as well and you'll most certainly be on heavy painkillers for 2-4 weeks.

The results are also not always perfect and there is certainly a risk of requiring additional surgeries, like in my case.
I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with the surgery. It sounds like it would be very painful. It is something to consider vert seriously
Gasela
Hi--I know your most recent post on pectum excavatum is kind of old, but I want you to know if you're still struggling with it, you're not the only one out there.  I am 51 years old and have been struggling up until fairly recently, only with the cosmetic part of it.  But now, it has become a more physical and medical concern.  Recently I've been diagnosed with mitro valve prolapse (who knows how long I've had--no way of getting a base xray anywhere to confirm); also been questioned several times on whether or not I've ever had a heart attack (again, don't think I ever had one, but have been unsuccessful in finding an echo cardiogram from years ago).  Am seriously wanting this pectum excavatum thing corrected for breathing issues and heart rate, at the least.  So, anything new, I would greatly appreciate your advise.  Much thanks!  Susan from ***@****