General Health Community
Swelling/Mild persistent fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Swelling/Mild persistent fever

I have had a fever but a mild one for about 3 days, yesterday my feet swelled right up and through the course of the night the rest of me swelled up.  I have a self inflicted cut on my left arm that is really sore and the muscle both above and below the cut are sore, I feel sick which could be the fever but not sure what is causing the swelling also my whole body is aching and throbbing, any body know what would cause all this?  
If your feet were swelling, you should have elevated them onto some pillows. Why did you cut yourself? You could have cut your arm with something that was not sterile and introduced some bacteria into your body which could be the cause of the fever, and possible the swelling too. You should get medical help cause the swelling could lead to something more life threatening.
I did elevate my feet at first.  Then I went to bed.  I cut my arm on purpose (because that's what I do, I'm a cutter).  The spot that I cut usually allows for a lot of blood flow (type of cutter I am) but recently stopped letting any blood out!  I can't say what I used because I do not want to give anybody any ideas.  I am not sure how infection got in but it did.  I see my dr tomorrow, I am sure this is going thrill her (NOT), but she will give me something for the infection. and btw if anyone was going to so this I will let you know that I am covered in scars not just places I thought I'd cut, and they are all itchy, stinging and very painful.  Not to mention no more swimming, wearing short or any short sleeves or anything that shows a scar!  And I am not lying when I say they are so painful!!!!  
sadmomma4, this is no way to live.  You clearly have some turmoil in your life which is causing you to self inflict pain - but regardless of the environment you're in and who ever is causing you grief, you are your worst enemy at the moment - yet you are suppose to love yourself above everyone else.  There is only one you, you are unique and you should protect yourself at all cost.  What is causing you so much pain?
Did you go to the Doctor?  Are you okay? If not get yourself to the ER.

All the best

I am getting help for cutting and depression.  I am on antibiotics for the infection and I am going for another blood transfusion.  My life is a mess and not much worth living as it is, but I am working to change how I feel about it!  Thanks for the responses!
Hi, you sound quite young how old are you?  I know things look black now but a little while longer and you will feel much better.   I remember feeling black when I was 19 - 20 yrs but slowly life changed for the better. Just keep going and believing. . It is amazing how much support you can find out there if you look.  Try going to church, a support club for depression or a fun evening at a sports club. etc etc. If you cannot get away, there is always the on- line communities. As long as it is a positive place.  We will keep you on our watch list.
I'm not real young.  I'm late 30's.  My life just keeps getting harder, some of which is my own fault:(. I go to a depression group and a church group.  They seem to be ok but I can't talk about why I'm there so it seems useless!
I am sure you can befriend somebody at the church group.  Then chat about your problems. You will be surprised how many will have similar stories to tell.  I once went to a group for anorexia and found out that most were in their 30s.  In the end we amalgamated with overeaters anonymous  as the actual feelings were the same,  just we dealt with it differently. Some also cut themselves. or made themselves sick - Bulemia!  Find another way of dealing with it.  Go to the gym and use the punching bag.
Take care - Nothing is useless. Everything means something...Psalm 23 at the end states.. 'surely goodness and mercy will follow me.'  It does not seem like it at the time but when you look back you just see how things have progressed for the better.  I use to say that psalm to myself every morning before I got out of bed.  It got me up!!  now my life is sooo much better and I have moved forward.  I wish this for you too.