General Health Community
Swollen, tender breast in 9 year old girl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

9 year old friend's daughter has a very tender and swollen right breast. She is a very petite girl who doesn't even appear to be approaching any kind of puberty development. She has been complaining of it being very sore and it is swollen. Does this warrant a doctors visit or could it just be early hormones? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: tender breast, swollen, girl
this is normal once a girl begins puberty...there is usually inflammation of the mammary gland that causes pain...men get these puberty "lumps" under their nipples once puberty begins...this is normal but if you notice any bruising,discoloration,increased pain level,any different symptoms....or anything irregular i would reccomend she goes and sees a pediatrician...best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask
The answer to your question is yes, this does warrent a visit to a physician.

While what another poster has stated is generally true, it is impossible and irresponsible to make a diagnosis and recommendation for a nine year old not to see a pediatrician after experiencing these symptoms through the internet.

There are other possible etiologies, infection being a possibility.

See a pediatrician.
here you go again telling everyone that they are wrong...or at least me...tell me what "warrants" you to say that this does require a doctor visit...you know sometimes things subside on there own after one to four days...like i said...if anything changes go to the doctor...a pain in the breast at nine years old is always caused by secretion of the mammary gland...boys get them...girls get them...while maybe after a few days a doctors visit would be reccomended...not all people have the money or insurance to go and go to the doctor at first sign of pain...and what would make you think this would be an infection? did the poster report any other symptoms other than that of systematic mammary inflamation (inflammation)?did you ever study medical philosophy? occams razor? hiccams dictum? usually the simplest explanation is always the best and you make things very complicated...and do take not...i did say if anything changes go see a pediatrician.
My daughter has just turned 10 and she has a swollen right breast and its painfull has anyone got any idea wot it could be I've been to doctor but antibiotics didn't help