Swollen Muscle Around Rib
Last week on Tuesday I was driving and was stopped at red light. I reached around in my back seat to get something out of my golf bag. It was buried pretty deep so I really had to stretch for it. My chest was facing the right side of my steering wheel and my right arm was straight back. As I was stretching to retrieve what I was getting I felt a pinch about two inches under my nipple more towards my right side. I was worried it may start hurting soon but I played golf all day and then played all day on Wed. On Thurs it became a little sore but nothing I would complain about. The same level of minimal pain continued on Fri and Sat. Sat night I went to the driving range and after about 20 minutes it really started hurting....so much as to I could not even my bucket of balls. That night I took some naproxen and slept fine but it has been very sore since. I sleep good after I take naproxen but I can not hit a golf ball at all without it hurting. It hurts to take really deep breaths and hurts when I reach for things using my right arm. It even hurts to open a door with my right hand. I noticed the area was mildly swollen and had some red spots on it. Was wondering if you could enlighten me on what I did, how to treat it, and how long I won't be able to play golf????
Well, from what you have written, it appears to me that you have dislocated a vertebrae due to the over reaching and stretching. My first suggestion would be to see a good chiropractor, they specialize in this type of pain, and sometimes, just after a few treatments, all is well. If they cannot help you, they will certainly recommend you see your primary care doctor. The chiro will take x-rays of your back and side views too to determine what is going on. The swollen is due to the inflammation, if you have not already, may I suggest you putting an ice pack on the affected area, this is good for getting rid of swelling, leave it on for about 20 minutes, remove, wait a couple of hours then do again. The ice usually helps the first few days of the accident. If you have a big enough bath tub, try soaking in it with about a cup of Epsom salts, this is great for inflammation as well. As to how long before playing golf, that just depends, if it is indeed a misplaced vertebrae, it will not get better until fixed, but, if it just a bad sprain, I would say probably a week or so. If you don't want to see a chiro and the pain continues, then see a good, osteopathic physician, they are trained in the area of bones, sprains, etc. I hope this helps.
Susie
Thanx Susie,
I appreciate the info but I'm a little confused. I have always thought that one's vertebrae is on their spine and my pain is actually on one of my right ribs.

Brian
Yes, vertebrae is on the spine, however, those control nerves that go to all parts of our body and if they are pinching on one, you will definitely get pain there, also, the ribs can become mis-aligned, my rib heads sometimes come out and my chiro gives me an adjustment in that area and then I am fine.