General Health Community
Thin skin on back of hands

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Thin skin on back of hands

I am now 50 and have noticed the skin on the back of my hands has become really thin & wrinkly. When I bump them, they bleed very easily. Is there anything I can do to improve my hands?
'Asteatotic eczema'-apply glycerine containing hand cremes. ok?
Have you ever used anything like hydrocortisone (it is a type of steroid) cream on your hands for anything like rashes or the like on a long-term basis?  That can lead to the thinned out skin like you're talking about.  You seem rather young for the backs of your hands to already have this issue.  I would prefer to see this not happen until you're much older.  In any case, if you didn't use a steroid cream for anything in the past, don't start using any now.  This would include Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment, which is commonly prescribed for eczema flare ups.  Don't use this one on the backs of your hands, because it is a steroid, too.

Vitamin K 1 and vitamin K 2 should also help.  Only take the minimum dosages, unless you are getting these from dietary sources, like natto.  (Go to mercola.com for more information on all of this.  He will also give the correct amount to use.)