General Health Community
Ticking sound in my head.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Ticking sound in my head.

I have been experiencing this ticking/ clicking sound coming from my head when I walk or run fast. I remember having this a long time ago. I don't know why that happens or what causes it. I read that it could be related to allergies a recent illness or from mucous buildup. I really don't know what is the exact cause and how can it be prevented.
have your ears checked for excess wax build up. you would be surprised how much dried wax can be in there ratteling around.
you need to see go see your doc this is not normal
Could allergies cause symptoms like this.I had experienced this before and it took a long time to go away. I'm trying to figure out how it started and what I can do before I see the doctor to alleviate it. You mentioned something about backed up wax. I used to have that bad when I was a child. I still do but not as bad. I used to go to the ENT doctor for problems with my ears as well as tinnitus. The doctor did tell me if I keep backed up wax was to use baby oil or mineral oil and water before I take a shower in my ears to keep them from being backed up. Could wax build up cause the ticking sound coming from the back of my head. Do you know of any other things that can cause that to happen. Another thing is I wash my hair a lot and I take showers a lot could water be trapped in my ears.
Hello justmedebbielee86 I would like some advice in reference to my response.
Hi I have been experiencing this ticking clicking sound coming from my head when I walk or run it started in December. I remember having this in the past and it took a long time to go away. However I don't know what causes this could it be related to my equilibrium could it be related to high blood pressure high levels of sodium diet all plays a part. I would like some advice in reference to this matter as to what could be causing this strange annoying ticking sound coming from my head when I walk or even run and how can I get relief.
I would like if someone in the general health community can respond to my question. I would certainly appreciate it.
I can make that sound right now if I move my head quickly from side to side. It is probably just something in the vertebrae that clicks and you get the sound transferred up into where the ear can hear it. I imagine that mucous buildup would start an infection. So it isn't your brain clicking.
I will invite nursegirl to comment.
Thanks for the feedback
I experienced this before in the past and it took a long time to go away now it's back again my doctor said that it isn't normal and referred me to the neurologist to see what is going on. Can it be related to anxiety in any way.
Ok, if your doc sent it to a neurologist for review because it is not normal then ignore my advice and wait for neuro to draw a conclusion. In the meantime, I see why you are curious and posting here as I would be too. Did your doc offer any suggestions as to what it could be?

Hopefully someone with experience shows up here. How long until the neuro appointment?
He said maybe high blood pressure but I don't have that.
My doc sent me to a neuro 6 years ago when I woke with a pain in my arm and shoulder that was from braxial plexitis, an attack of the nerve  in the shoulder that made muscle atrophy. I was on Tylenol 4 for a few weeks before the pain subsided and the nerves began their 2 mm per day regrowth. The neuro diagnosed me and said the nerves would all regrow so no problem.
However, doc also sent me to a cardio specialist who described my visit to his intern as, "This is what you will end up dealing with nowadays, patients for whom their gp has no idea what to do with the problem so they send them to me. This is not a cardio issue so a waste of my time."
So it is likely that there is no problem and your gp is just sending you for a neuro to diagnose, and there will not be any diagnosis necessary. My advice is don't worry while waiting for your neuro appointment because it could just be neck bones clicking as I suggested before.

How long until the neuro appointment?
Actually it was a bone specialist my doc sent me to when I had th stabing pain. That makes more sense than a cardio guy for arm pain. Result was the same though, gp didn't understand it so pushed me in a direction he hoped would understand it but in reality the problem had ceased by then since the brachial plexitis attack was over and the mending had started.
Probably you will find the neuro guy says no issue exists, but don't skip the appointment just because of my guess.
I can´t believe it. I literally thought I was crazy and no body would believe me. I have the same ticking in my head when I walk fast or run and it is so comforting to see that there are other people as well and i am not imagining it.  You gotta love the internet. 10 years ago I would never have found such a quick way to get an answer to such a strange question. I guess the only consensus that I can see is that it is tinnitus. but if that is in the ear, then why does my ticking stop if i put pressure on the top of my head with my hand. that doesn´t seem connected to my ear. the sound seems to come from the top of my head and stops when i put pressure on my head with my hand.  I will ask my doctor when I go next week, but I doubt I will get a definitive answer. If anybody knows please respond????