General Health Community
Uncontrollable Shaking?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Uncontrollable Shaking?

Good hello people. OK, so mid October, my friend attempted suicide for the eighth time in two years and I was the one that had to call the ambulance and save her. She is an online friend, so she lives in the other end of the state, but yeah, I was there, making the phone call and getting information from another friend, from Afghanistan, so it was this massive web of information and it ended up saving her life.

So I made the Triple Zero call and afterwards, I couldn't stop shaking, there was nothing I could do to stop it, and by this point my back and neck was cramping up and it started to hurt. I was shaking like I was just cold.

I just watched a Behind the Scenes video of what happens when you call an ambulance and it got me thinking, should I call an ambulance if I am shaking uncontrollably, like for myself, what do you do when you cant stop shaking. What would happen in hospital if they got a case like that?

But yeah, someone mentioned nervous tension can someone explain that? How do you differentiate between just being nervous and something much much more serious?
   One can be literally "shaken" by a bad experience.  If you went to the hospital the doctors would treat you for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.   You would probably be given a sedative to start with and then medications to help you to cope with your friend's near suicide.
       You might need emotional therapy for a while also.  Our friends don't seem to realize how "tied up" we are with their lives.  She needs reassurance that she is loved and wanted.
      I am so sorry that you were scared in this way!  Please do get some help -  I hope your friend will be okay.
Sounds like you went into delayed shock after this crazy incident.  I would think it a real problem only if it did not stop soon, or it came out of nowhere for no reason.  Blessings - Blu
Because you have not been through this type of stressful situation before, you were traumatized by it.  And the shaking was to do with the shock of it all on your body.

When someone experiences shock like this, the thing is to take slow deep breaths in and out and relax and have a warm drink and keep warm.
Had the uncontrollable shaking continued say for more than 10 minutes, then you could have called for medical advice.

If you were felt so distraught and had gone to ER or to your doctor, you would have been prescribed medication like diazepam to help to calm you down.  These drugs can cause drowsiness and it is advisable not to drive when taking them, so a friend would have had to be with you.

If the trauma continues, with flashbacks of the situation, the doctor can refer the person for counselling to help with the flashbacks so as to be able to processes the feelings of the event that caused the trauma.

I do hope that you are OK with things now and that you did a wonderful job with helping your friend.  I do hope that you have told her just how badly it affected you, so that she does not think of doing it again.

When people are exposed to situations like this, it is extremely shocking the first time, but then as things happen again and again you get immune to it, stay calm and do what you have to do.

Lets hope your friend knows how lucky she is and gets the help that she so desperately needs.

Best wishes.