Weird sensation in my hands

I have a weird an extremely unpleasant sensation in my hands. Its not pain at all. I usually describe it as dryness, although is not how real dryness feels like. The sensation can be almost unbearable when my fingers are in contact with each other. It is momentarly relieved if I put my hands in water or if I put vaseline on them. The sensation usually makes me crave for water or vaseline.  Regular cream has little effect. Objectively speaking, my hands look no dry at all.

I used to have this sensation when I was in elementary school, and then go away for several years. It returned like a year ago during grad school. Writting is specially uncomfortable because it involves contact between fingers. Sometimes the sensation is so bad that I avoid writting at all, even if that involves missing a homework, and I feel this has negatively afected my course marks.

Any ideas what can this be? Have anyone felt something similar? I have done extensive searches and have found nothing like it. I think is mental, because my hands don't look dry at all, furthermore, I don't think that those are the symptoms of a dry hand.

Thank you!
It could be psychological but there could be a physiological basis as well. An electrolyte imbalance can cause nerve conduction issues that COULD feel the way you describe.

I would see your health care provider and ask them to do a full work up, particularly blood work to check your electrolytes, endocrine system, etc. If your blood work is okay, a referral to a neurologist to do a nerve conduction study and full exam to rule out something neurological.

If everything checks out physically, then a referral to a psychologist would be in order.
does it feel like your hands they are on fire or like alot pins and needles pricking your fingers and hands. I have this problem with my hands and feet.
Thanks for your answers

@littlewolfbain: No, it does not feel like fire, nor pins and needles. My fingers just feel very slipery whenever they make licontact with each other, and somehow that makes me crave for water (in my hands). It does not sound so bad, but it is bad enough to prevent me for writting. By the way, when I put my hands in water it feels really heavenly.
I would definitely see your physician and have some blood tests run. Also, while waiting, try putting some vitamin E oil on them, this might help the "dry" feeling and such that you are having.
I'm 48 years old and have the symptoms you described.  I can remember having them as a child as well.  It is a feeling mentally of the hands being dry (it also affects my lips).  I must keep vaseline on my lips 24/7 - 365 days.  I keep a moist washcloth laying by my kitchen sink for me to lay my fingers on when the sensation comes on.  My hands, nor my lips show any outward signs of being chapped or dry.   I have three children, my youngest is 9 and he has the same symptoms with his hands.  I know this post is old; however I decided today to do some research and came upon it first.
Does anyone feel like the sensation in their hands or feet is similar to when clap your hand too hard? Please let me know. Thank you